An off topic with a difference! Join us for fun and games with slightly cheekier tone than the rest of the forum!
By gmdf
W.G. Grace? No, afraid not - he died in 1915 @ 67 years old!

Ewan Chatfield? No, luckily his life was saved by the English team physio, Bernard Thomas. Ewan is still with us!
Last edited by gmdf on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By abington1
Which cricketer, who was a test player before the second world war, celebrated his 100th birthday yesterday. No googling please  :D
By Arthur Boxful
[quote="gmdf"]

Ewan Chatfield? No, luckily his life was saved by the English team physio, Bernard Thomas. Ewan is still with us!
[/quote]

Ahhh, so it wasn't a trick question then ?  :-k
By gmdf
[quote="Arthur Boxful"]
[quote="gmdf"]

[/quote]

Ahhh, so it wasn't a trick question then ?  :-k
[/quote]

Nope. :D
By gmdf
[quote="Arthur Boxful"]
James Southerton, the oldest Test debutant(49) was the first to die aged 52
[/quote]

Spot on.

Over to you...
By Victor Johnston
[quote="Arthur Boxful"]
Which new rule was introduced at the ODI between India and Pakistan @ Jaipur(02/10/83) ?
[/quote]

Not out LBW, pitched outside leg ? ( pure guess )
By Arthur Boxful
[quote="Victor Johnston"]
[quote="Arthur Boxful"]
Which new rule was introduced at the ODI between India and Pakistan @ Jaipur(02/10/83) ?
[/quote]

Not out LBW, pitched outside leg ? ( pure guess )
[/quote]

No, think more 'extras'  ;)
By Arthur Boxful
No balls and wides added to the bowler's figures ?
[/quote]

That's the one.

Over to you.....
By Victor Johnston
What about this ?

Even as an occasional level 1 umpire myself, I'm still quite befuddled as to the correct resolution of this rather amusing and actual incident which thankfully I wasn't personally involved with but witnessed occur at a game in our public park...

' Batsman firmly strikes the ball for a certain 4 runs but just before ball reaches boundary rope an eager dog runs onto the field, lifts the ball and carries it over the boundary rope much to the embarrassment of it's owner who quickly returns said cricket ball to awaiting fielder, leashes up his dog and hurriedly goes about his way with said dog now on it's lead '

What is the correct protocol in keeping with the laws and spirit of the game the umpires should apply ?  :brickwall:
Last edited by Victor Johnston on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gmdf
OK, I'll bite, though I have had no training as an umpire! (But, years ago, playing village cricket players had to umpire before & after batting...so I did quite  bit as a tail end batsman!).

In this rather unusual, perhaps unique, case, I would suggest that the umpire's responsibility is to ensure that the dog's unfortunate actions don't adversely affect either team more than absolutely necessary. As it says the hit was a "certain 4 runs", I'd award that. I'm not sure a qualified umpire would agree (perhaps call 'dead ball'?), but I think at the level I played this would be acceptable.

Of course if it was clear that the ball wouldn't have reached the boundary, then a just decision would be more difficult to reach, and 'dead ball' might well be the correct call...
By judge9847
What about this ?

' Batsman firmly strikes the ball for a certain 4 runs but just before ball reaches boundary rope an eager dog runs onto the field, lifts the ball and carries it over the boundary rope much to the embarrassment of it's owner who quickly returns said cricket ball to awaiting fielder, leashes up his dog and hurriedly goes about his way with said dog now on it's lead '

What is the correct protocol in keeping with the laws and spirit of the game the umpires should apply ?  :brickwall:
[/quote]
For me it's 4 runs.  For that moment, ie when the dog actually grabs the ball, he/she/it became the boundary.  It's the same as having the balancing struts on a sight screen that would otherwise be inside the boundary.  If the ball hits one of them at an extremity, and bounces back in to the field of play, it's four runs (six if it's a no bounce, direct hit).  That's because the Law is explicit and says no part of a sight screen can be inside the boundary.  Therefore, the boundary will run in front of the screen, even tracing it so that if the ball passes between the struts and goes close to the main part of the screen without going under it, it's not a boundary, just the runs actually taken.

Law 19, especially 1. (b) explains it all.  There's also an article on the Lord's website about trees inside the boundary and that's here https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-crick ... in-action/
England Lions

Has England's treatment of Ben Duckett knocked his[…]

2017 Fixtures

Does anybody know when they are being released, en[…]

Onwards to the lovely market town of Chester-le-St[…]

Averages

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-championship-[…]