A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Iron Mike
Middlesex 243 beat
Glamorgan 227 by 16 runs

Not to be this time. Ingram must be in a lot if fantasy teams...looked a good game from afar.

20 wickets in a one dayer with some good performances from bat and ball proves longer list A one day cricket used to be called a one day test. Perhaps when t20 franchise is on more list a will go to Swansea, Newport or wherever. We all love outgrounds!

http://m.espncricinfo.com/royal-london- ... 68477.html
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:37 pm
Donald 20 runs from 5 innings. Time to give someone else the chance to fail ?
Is he getting the right support / coaching?
I don't know, but he's not "getting" any runs. I get the impression that he is still living off the back of his double century last season, and I think it's well past the time that someone else has a chance.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 pm
glamman wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:25 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:37 pm
Donald 20 runs from 5 innings. Time to give someone else the chance to fail ?
Is he getting the right support / coaching?
I don't know, but he's not "getting" any runs. I get the impression that he is still living off the back of his double century last season, and I think it's well past the time that someone else has a chance.
You might be right but it would be unfortunate if he was another of the talented youngsters Glamorgan have failed.
By Vetchetarian
I know nothing of the inner workings of Glamorgan C.C. I follow them from afar, so to speak. They are part of my life, and I love the team as much as any who post here. We all thrill to their successes and suffer when they fall short.
With regards some of the younger players, particularly batsmen, several regular posters question whether they are being properly coached. Now, I'm not qualified to provide an answer, but how much coaching do they need? Don't they all have innate ability ? Can too much coaching be detrimental to their progress ?
Rightly or wrongly, I feel that the coaching question is merely being used as an excuse for continued failure.
The question I would pose is basically - are the likes of Donald and Lloyd, for example, good enough to succeed at the level they are currently playing at ? Their figures would suggest no.
The history of Glamorgan C.C. is littered with players who hung around for many years, until the reality dawned that they simply weren't good enough, and they were let go.
I feel that Glamorgan currently have too many players who are simply not good enough, and that no amount of coaching will alter that.
Sorry if this post upsets anyone, but it's been plaguing me for some time now.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 pm
I know nothing of the inner workings of Glamorgan C.C. I follow them from afar, so to speak. They are part of my life, and I love the team as much as any who post here. We all thrill to their successes and suffer when they fall short.
With regards some of the younger players, particularly batsmen, several regular posters question whether they are being properly coached. Now, I'm not qualified to provide an answer, but how much coaching do they need? Don't they all have innate ability ? Can too much coaching be detrimental to their progress ?
Rightly or wrongly, I feel that the coaching question is merely being used as an excuse for continued failure.
The question I would pose is basically - are the likes of Donald and Lloyd, for example, good enough to succeed at the level they are currently playing at ? Their figures would suggest no.
The history of Glamorgan C.C. is littered with players who hung around for many years, until the reality dawned that they simply weren't good enough, and they were let go.
I feel that Glamorgan currently have too many players who are simply not good enough, and that no amount of coaching will alter that.
Sorry if this post upsets anyone, but it's been plaguing me for some time now.
Of course they have innate ability. They would not have got this far without that. However at this level the difference between success and failure is marginal. I don't know of any of the best players in the game at the moment who don't refer to the coaches who have helped them especially in their early development.
By Shamu
Glamman
Your current obsession with a perceived lack of coaching is both misguided and tedious. As I have previously stated, it is clearly apparent that your self appointed wonder kids are not (yet ?) up to first class standard.
You need to take on board :-
(a) They are being exposed to first class cricket because they are Welsh - and traditionally Glamorgan have always attempted to promote Welsh talent. History is littered with Welsh lads who have been given ample opportunities yet fallen short.

(b) Which other County First X1 would any of these youngsters get anywhere near (I would offer up possibly Leiestershire or Derbyshire - and that says it all !).

Add this current crop to the likes of Law, Evans, Hughes, Cherry, Thomas, Wright, Jones, Owen, Glover etc.

It's all very well being able to perform at schools, club and Second X1 level - totally different worlds.

I anticipate your comeback will point out the lack of a batting coach - well, as Shane Warne stated - 'A coach takes you to the ground - then, you get off, grab your kit and play your game'. The strong survive - the rest fall by the wayside.

Please name a batting coach that will turn water into wine ? - I'll offer up a few names :- Dynamo, David Copperfield, Penn & Teller.

Queue Brian ......

Rant over.
exileKT8 liked this
By Nick_Glam
I think there is room for some middle ground...

Some of the players probably have been forced to play too much cricket and aren't really ready to be ever-present starters. It is too much to ask them to perform consistently.

However, there does seem to be a marked trend among some of the young batsmen: Lloyd averaged 42 in 2015, Donald reached 1000 runs last year and Meschede once looked like a decent all rounder. Their recent efforts don't compare. It is fair enough to question the coaching at the moment imo.
By glamman
I think that is a fair statement. Not all the Welsh players who have played for Glamorgan in recent years may have been up to standard but the list is too long to assume none of them were. My impression is that some of the coaches of junior age groups, some of whom have in turn played for Glamorgan in the past, share concerns.
By Shamu
A 'batting coach' can feed a million balls through throw downs or on a team bowling machine. No coach can accompany a batsman to the middle to advise on shot selection.
Take young Donald for example - I bet he looks a million dollars on a bowling machine, but against a first class bowling attack , his shot selection and dogged determination to occupy the crease is woeful. You cannot score runs when you're not out there in the middle and you need to earn the right to play scoring shots. Cameo innings' of quick flashy 20's and 30's are useless for a top 6 batsman.
The main difference between success and failure in professional sport is mental strength and you are born with that - it cannot be coached.

I'm still waiting on names of potential batting coaching guru's ?
By glamman
Off the top of my head - the praise that Alastair Cook has always given of the help he received from Gooch; closer to home the benefits that Lloyd and Donald seemed to get from the extensive work that Radford did with them.
You talk about mental strength but a lot of that comes from the confidence you have in your technique.
Ireland and Afghanistan

Good news they're both now full Test playing natio[…]

Worcs., taking a bit of a pasting in the Royal Lon[…]

Sam Billings off with the Lions to keep wicket aga[…]

Jayawardene

signs for Lancashire (T20 blast) available for the[…]