A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
I certainly agree that the coaching has to be looked at, but is the squad really good enough anyway? I mean, do we really have 11 players good enough to play Championship cricket, never mind being able to cope with an injury or two?

We essentially went into this game with 3 bowlers imo. I think Salter now has 10 wickets in his last 10 first class games (!?!) and Lloyd has been no threat in this form of the game. Ingram is arguably the most dangerous spinner that we possess which the management should feel pretty embarrassed about.

The young batsmen do have potential, but they have been asked to do far too much. If we had anything like the team that we had 15 or 20 years ago, they would probably only be playing 2 or 3 games a year as they were eased into the team. Obviously this is down to years of mis-management and I do feel some sympathy with the current coaching staff on this one.

But, as I've mentioned a few times, the fact that several players seem to be going backwards is a major concern and the coaching really ought to be subject to an overhaul too.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm
I certainly agree that the coaching has to be looked at, but is the squad really good enough anyway? I mean, do we really have 11 players good enough to play Championship cricket, never mind being able to cope with an injury or two?

We essentially went into this game with 3 bowlers imo. I think Salter now has 10 wickets in his last 10 first class games (!?!) and Lloyd has been no threat in this form of the game. Ingram is arguably the most dangerous spinner that we possess which the management should feel pretty embarrassed about.

The young batsmen do have potential, but they have been asked to do far too much. If we had anything like the team that we had 15 or 20 years ago, they would probably only be playing 2 or 3 games a year as they were eased into the team. Obviously this is down to years of mis-management and I do feel some sympathy with the current coaching staff on this one.

But, as I've mentioned a few times, the fact that several players seem to be going backwards is a major concern and the coaching really ought to be subject to an overhaul too.
Not sure I sympathise with the coaching staff. The one thing that has not changed much are the coaches. The only coach in the last 5 years who seems to have had a significant effect was Radford with the young batsmen.
glamman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Not sure I sympathise with the coaching staff. The one thing that has not changed much are the coaches. The only coach in the last 5 years who seems to have had a significant effect was Radford with the young batsmen.
I meant sympathy simply because they have been working with so many unproven youngsters. Ask Duncan Fletcher in his prime to get results with some of the players that we've had, and it would be a challenge imo.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:34 pm
glamman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:13 pm

I meant sympathy simply because they have been working with so many unproven youngsters. Ask Duncan Fletcher in his prime to get results with some of the players that we've had, and it would be a challenge imo.
A number of these players are no longer novices - Cooke, Lloyd, Salter, Bragg and even Donald. They all seem to stall in their development under the Glamorgan team.

Am starting to get more nervous as Ingram and Donald are starting to play more shots.
116/4
Donald bowled Patel for 36.
3 balls in the over were play and miss trying to hit Patel into the stand, textbook defend then play expansive again. He didn't die wondering.

Lloyd and Ingram in...feels like Notts are trying to turn the screw.
glamman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:42 pm

A number of these players are no longer novices - Cooke, Lloyd, Salter, Bragg and even Donald. They all seem to stall in their development under the Glamorgan team.

Am starting to get more nervous as Ingram and Donald are starting to play more shots.
That's kind of what I mean in terms of the ability of the players though.

Has Salter, for example, shown anything so far in his career to really suggest that he is going to make it?

And while Bragg has developed into a reasonable player, would he ever have played this many games if we had a decent squad? There would have been a time when he would have just been a squad player, but he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet due to our lack of quality.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:21 pm
glamman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:42 pm

That's kind of what I mean in terms of the ability of the players though.

Has Salter, for example, shown anything so far in his career to really suggest that he is going to make it?

And while Bragg has developed into a reasonable player, would he ever have played this many games if we had a decent squad? There would have been a time when he would have just been a squad player, but he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet due to our lack of quality.
Salter was an effective bowler in limited over cricket alongside Cosker when he first appeared. Now looking just to fire the ball in. Who is coaching him that?
glamman wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Salter was an effective bowler in limited over cricket alongside Cosker when he first appeared. Now looking just to fire the ball in. Who is coaching him that?
I respect your opinion so we will have to agree to disagree. :) I would personally say that apart from his first ball it has largely been pretty negative as he has never been able to take any wickets...

Anyway, very decent battling stuff from Ingram and Lloyd to get through to tea. Would be a vague achievement to avoid an innings defeat and take it to a 4th day.

....so he said to Radio Kent during this final wea[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]