A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
I guess this doesn't come as a complete surprise (and he was surely going to be released at the end of the season anyway), but a bit of upheaval in the middle of the season. Hogan's appointment is probably sensible as a short term option, but it will be interesting to see who they look to next season...
By Ger27
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm
duckworthlewis wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm
I think Jim Allenby will come back as captain
Why would he leave Somerset ?
Because he's out of contract in 4 months. Still, unlikely.

Not unreasonable to think that the captaincy may be used as bait to tempt a batsman to sign from another country over the winter though. With Rudolph leaving, Ingram not playing CC, and Carlson going to Uni, they need to start their search for batsmen pretty swiftly.
By lovecricket
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:22 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm
duckworthlewis wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm
I think Jim Allenby will come back as captain
Why would he leave Somerset ?
Because he's out of contract in 4 months. Still, unlikely.

Not unreasonable to think that the captaincy may be used as bait to tempt a batsman to sign from another country over the winter though. With Rudolph leaving, Ingram not playing CC, and Carlson going to Uni, they need to start their search for batsmen pretty swiftly.
100% agree. We have been desperate for a quality top 3 batsman for 5 years now it can't be ignored anymore.

Potential captains for next season:
- Cooke but that would be a big workload with batting and keeping too
- Bragg for CC not sure of his experience as captain but he's one of our mature players now
- Ingram for white ball cricket. Could work he's very experienced for the on the field stuff. Wouldn't want it to impact his batting as he's so important for us in white ball game.
- Hogan for white ball. Could work, can't see him playing all CC games but he's great with field placing in the short form and plenty of experience.
- New top order batsman with experience coming in as captain. It's tough to come into a new squad and lead. But I agree about wanting to draw in a top player with the captaincy.
By lovecricket
Nick_Glam wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am
I guess this doesn't come as a complete surprise (and he was surely going to be released at the end of the season anyway), but a bit of upheaval in the middle of the season. Hogan's appointment is probably sensible as a short term option, but it will be interesting to see who they look to next season...
Maybe this is harsh but I think he should have retired last season. We could have used his salary to strengthen the squad. Now we have change in the middle of an already terrible season. Has he been better this season than last, yes but that isn't exactly difficult for a former test match batsman. Overall the most disappointing international signing I can remember. He's lead us to the two worst seasons I can remember and didn't deliver much personally to improve the situation.
exileKT8 liked this
By Nick_Glam
lovecricket wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 pm
Nick_Glam wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 10:07 am
Maybe this is harsh but I think he should have retired last season. We could have used his salary to strengthen the squad. Now we have change in the middle of an already terrible season. Has he been better this season than last, yes but that isn't exactly difficult for a former test match batsman. Overall the most disappointing international signing I can remember. He's lead us to the two worst seasons I can remember and didn't deliver much personally to improve the situation.
I don't think it's harsh from a cricketing perspective, but I'm sure any of us can understand a cricketer wanting to continue his career for as long as possible. I'm sure he was hoping for a better start to this season and few people would throw away a year's salary. It's the county's fault for giving him the contract at the end of the day...
By exileKT8
Been away for a week, left with Glammy starting their 2nd innings v Notts so in my absence been a good week, good to read the comments on here re both games to add a bit of meat to the scoreboard.

Saw the Rudolph news, not a surprise, not even the timing because his form has been poor, it is sad for him personally and for the Club after appearing to put a lot of eggs in his basket. Lying in the sun got me thinking where does he fit in Glammy overseas players of my memory.

Success - Majid, Fredericks, Ontong, Javed, Ezra Mosely, Younis Ahmed, I.V.A., Kasper, Elliott, Kallis (when he played) Waqar 1st season, Ingram, B. McCullum, Hogan, Cosgrove, Gillespie, Lefebre, Ravi,

Didn`t work out - Greg Armstrong, Collis King, Hickey, Winston Davis, Ganguly, Gibbs, Shaun Marsh,Sammy, Tait, Maher, Hamish Anthony, Ottis Gibson, Franklin, Henriques, Kruger, Marcus North, N, McCullum, Peterson, Swart, Van Jarsveld, Van der Zyl, Waqar 2nd season, Damien Wright.

Needed Wikipedia help for latter entries in 2nd group, not saying they were not good players and some achieved a lot but not in a Daffodil. I`m afraid despite his 50 over heroics in 1st season JR is in the 2nd group for me.

....so he said to Radio Kent during this final wea[…]

Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]

Northants 2018

Well, I thought I'd start this one early!! What's […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]