A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By otis
It's not just the cricket that is based in cardiff ALL the winter social functions are held there as well, as Vetch stated why not just rename the club Cardiff CCC.
PS Has the grants to Cardiff council been paid back yet? :)
By Vetchetarian
ffynnongarw wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 am
Australia never played st Cardiff. As for history, I was at Cardiff when they clinched 1969 Championship, big part of their history. As for dump areas of Cardiff. I see little point debating with the classis Swansea chip on the shoulder. I know how every independent assessment rates the merit of the two cities.
I don't know whether Australia ever played at Cardiff, but you earlier inferred that touring teams only ever played at Swansea. That is simply untrue.

So, let me get this right, Glamorgan clinching the 1969 Championship at Cardiff is a " big part of their history ". That's ONE GAME :) . I'll give you that ONE. :)

" classis Swansea chip on the shoulder ". I'm not sure what " classis " is, perhaps you shouldn't have skipped so many classes when you were in school. Spelling not so hot, eh ?

I was waiting for some individual to bring up a comparison between Swansea and Cardiff. I wonder what " independent assessment " you refer to. When the disparity in financial support for the two cities is so great, there is bound to be major differences. If you can't see that, well, it's a sad day for the rest of the country. All is well in Ffynongarw though, I hope. Is there such a place, or is it made up ?

By the way, I don't write as a Swansea resident. I play Devil's Advocate on occasions, and you have been suckered in with your prejudice.
By Vetchetarian
otis wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 am
It's not just the cricket that is based in cardiff ALL the winter social functions are held there as well, as Vetch stated why not just rename the club Cardiff CCC.
PS Has the grants to Cardiff council been paid back yet? :)
I refer to the team as Cardiff CCC . There's precious little Glamorgan about it anymore.

On a side issue, just to highlight the contempt with which the powers that be in Cardiff have for the rest of the country. I lived in Newport when that City hosted the Open Golf tournament, that was in 2010. Cardiff were advertising that the event was taking place IN CARDIFF. No mention of Newport in their ads.
Around the same time I was listening to a Radio Wales programme, and a guest speaker was suggesting that the entire coastline between Cardiff and Southerndown should be renamed " The Cardiff Riviera ". Apparently, that would be good for " Cardiff tourism ".

What they really lust after though is - 'THE GOWER'.
It really sticks in their craw that Swansea enjoys it.

Ah, if only they could detach it from the mainland and float it eastwards, all their dreams would come true, and they'd be very happy bunnies. :)
By ffynnongarw
I visit this site to read about and discuss cricket. You widened the debate to talk about dump areas of Cardiff. The prime touring fixtures of Australia and W Indies were always played at Swansea not shared with Cardiff.
Cardiff does not receive extra funding it is just private companies are attracted to invest in Cardiff.

There agsin the Cardiff 60/40 vote in favour of remaining in Europe demonstrated where the intelligent people in Wales live.
By Vetchetarian
ffynnongarw wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm
I visit this site to read about and discuss cricket. You widened the debate to talk about dump areas of Cardiff. The prime touring fixtures of Australia and W Indies were always played at Swansea not shared with Cardiff.
Cardiff does not receive extra funding it is just private companies are attracted to invest in Cardiff.

There agsin the Cardiff 60/40 vote in favour of remaining in Europe demonstrated where the intelligent people in Wales live.
"The prime touring fixtures of Australia and W.Indies were always played at Swansea and not shared with Cardiff".
That may well be true, I'll take your word re those touring teams always playing at Swansea.
It's very likely that the tourists insisted on this since crowds at Swansea would eclipse those at Cardiff by a considerable amount. Glamorgan would have happily gone along with that.
I see you are no longer insisting that all touring teams only played at Swansea.

"you widened the debate to talk about dump areas of Cardiff ". I merely picked up on your crassness when describing St. Helens as " a dump ". Forgot that, did you ?

I'm not sure what your last paragraph has got to do with the subject under discussion, other than to insult 40% of the voting public in Wales.
By Vetchetarian
ffynnongarw wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Further to my last post.
" private companies are attracted to invest in Cardiff ". And just how do you think this is achieved ?
Taxpayer subsidies, that's how.
By ffynnongarw
I fid not forget saying St Helens is a dump. It has become a dump. Many years ago I played in Mark Alleyne benefit golf day and his benefit brochure had the usual Q&A page. He nominated St Helens as the worst ground. Having read many cricket autobiograhies, a view widely held on the county circuit.
I was a member of the Celtic Manor golf for many years when I lived in Gwent including 2010 and it was firmly marketed as Newport.
By Vetchetarian
ffynnongarw wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm
I fid not forget saying St Helens is a dump. It has become a dump. Many years ago I played in Mark Alleyne benefit golf day and his benefit brochure had the usual Q&A page. He nominated St Helens as the worst ground. Having read many cricket autobiograhies, a view widely held on the county circuit.
I was a member of the Celtic Manor golf for many years when I lived in Gwent including 2010 and it was firmly marketed as Newport.
Mark Alleyne's opinion on anything is irrelevant to me.

I've not read many cricket autobiographies, but the only complaint/negative comment I ever heard about St. Helens was the number of steps to and from the Pavilion. Perhaps Alleyne, and other complainers, were just lazy individuals, and didn't like the effort it took to climb the hill.

People whose opinion I respect, always found St. Helens to be a great cricketing, indeed sporting, venue. Not perfect, but where is ?

You clearly have a bug up your **** about St. Helens. All that history must really piss you off

Re The Open.
It may have been " firmly marketed as Newport " by the hosts Celtic Manor, but what my post said was that Cardiff were claiming that the tournament was taking place - in Cardiff. If you read the posts you won't get so confused.
By ffynnongarw
If you are so dismissive of the views of professional cricketers on cricket then I gracefully withdraw from further debate.
By Vetchetarian
ffynnongarw wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:49 pm
If you are so dismissive of the views of professional cricketers on cricket then I gracefully withdraw from further debate.
Well, you are a one.
Why don't you list Alleyne's grievances against St. Helens rather than run away and hide behind his name ?
Perhaps he didn't perform too well whilst playing there.
Perhaps he didn't like the lunches that were served.
Perhaps he didn't like the view from the balcony. You know the view across the Bay to Mumbles. Really awful, isn't it ? :)
Perhaps a visiting supporter from Cardiff keyed his car.
I could go on, but much better if you told all.
By johnsantaclaws
I have never watched cricket at either Cardiff or Swansea; and I don't wish to take sides on their relative merits.

However, 3 points may help to put things in better proportion.

1. During 2018, Glamorgan will again be playing a county championship match at Llandudno. This is miles from Glamorgan. Although I am generally keen on using out-grounds, this particular choice shows that "Glamorgan" regards itself as "Wales" when it suits.

2. I suspect that most English cricket supporters wouldn't be too bothered if Glamorgan were to drop out of the county championship. I don't sense animosity; merely indifference.

3. I feel quite strongly that Cardiff should NOT host Ashes Tests; but, in large part, this is because I think that Ashes Tests should be played at the 6 traditional venues of Lord's; the Oval; Edgbaston; Headingley; Old Trafford; and Trent Bridge.
By Vetchetarian
johnsantaclaws wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 am
I have never watched cricket at either Cardiff or Swansea; and I don't wish to take sides on their relative merits.

However, 3 points may help to put things in better proportion.

1. During 2018, Glamorgan will again be playing a county championship match at Llandudno. This is miles from Glamorgan. Although I am generally keen on using out-grounds, this particular choice shows that "Glamorgan" regards itself as "Wales" when it suits.

2. I suspect that most English cricket supporters wouldn't be too bothered if Glamorgan were to drop out of the county championship. I don't sense animosity; merely indifference.

3. I feel quite strongly that Cardiff should NOT host Ashes Tests; but, in large part, this is because I think that Ashes Tests should be played at the 6 traditional venues of Lord's; the Oval; Edgbaston; Headingley; Old Trafford; and Trent Bridge.
1. Do you mean Colwyn Bay ? This fixture is long standing, and serves several purposes, viz, taking the game country wide, and attracting large crowds of holidaymakers, especially when the opposition is from The Midlands or Lancashire. Since Glamorgan IS in Wales, I'm not sure who it would suit, other than interested parties.

2. I can relate to the " indifference", since that's how I feel about the England team. Delighted to see that The Aussies have done them again.

3. Large numbers of English, both fans' and ex England players, railed against Ashes Tests coming to Cardiff. The Authorities are only interested in money, and since Cardiff were prepared to pay for the privilege of staging such occasions, Cardiff became a major venue. The other venues you refer to can always outbid Cardiff, and your blatant bias would then be unnecessary.
By Vetchetarian
I forgot to mention that The Aussie's love playing in Cardiff. That's reason enough for Cardiff to continue hosting The Ashes.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:09 pm
I forgot to mention that The Aussie's love playing in Cardiff. That's reason enough for Cardiff to continue hosting The Ashes.
Surprised you haven't demanded that a Test be played at St Helens. If it is as good as the SWALEC for Glamorgan...?
By ffynnongarw
Allocating games to Cardiff had the effect of shaking traditional venues out of their complacency and spurring major investments which were badly needed at grounds like Edgbaston.

Not sure why Australia like playing at Cardiff, they failed to win either Ashes test and have lost a 50 over game against Bangladesh. England have a good record in all competitions at Cardiff.
Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]