A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
#23114
So the SWALEC will be one of the grounds for the franchise T20 competition due to start in 2020. Seems quite a long run in period but I guess there are things to sort out. Cardiff is the only venue in the South West the nearest other host grounds being in Southampton and Birmingham. I hope the crowds that can be attracted to these games will be better than Glamorgan have managed for their home games. I think it will be a struggle to get people to come over the bridge from Bristol and Taunton and personally I think Bristol would be a better geographically placed venue for the region and would look better on TV with a full ground.
#23115
glamman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 pm
So the SWALEC will be one of the grounds for the franchise T20 competition due to start in 2020. Seems quite a long run in period but I guess there are things to sort out. Cardiff is the only venue in the South West the nearest other host grounds being in Southampton and Birmingham. I hope the crowds that can be attracted to these games will be better than Glamorgan have managed for their home games. I think it will be a struggle to get people to come over the bridge from Bristol and Taunton and personally I think Bristol would be a better geographically placed venue for the region and would look better on TV with a full ground.
Cardiff will now become ' Whackit City ', to me, anyway. I'll not be attending. Attendances will surely depend on ticket prices.
Greed will ensure part full stadium.
I don't know how much Glamorgan have been charging for one day internationals, but £10.00/£15.00 for a 20/20 sounds reasonable, and should fill the stadium, weather permitting, but it will probably be more like £30.00/£40.00.
I agree re Bristol, but I predicted all the chosen grounds. This 20/20 is a sop to Cardiff, as future Ashes encounters seem destined for the other side of Offa's Dyke.
User avatar
By Ian
#23116
I think that you both make some good points.

I think we've seen our last test cricket in Cardiff, which is a shame as the 2 Ashes tests were excellent. No doubt that with the reduction to 6 tests per summer and all the politicking that goes on with respect to 2 Lords Tests and keeping the midlands and northern counties happy, the decision to award is ODIs and the t20 side is something of a compromise.

What has baffled me from the start about the new t20 is who is going to watch it? The ecb claim it's to bring new people to the game.
It won't be part of county membership as its not a Glamorgan game, so grumpy old gits like me won't be going.
In mid summer, on a balmy Friday night, the club staff work their guts out to get the Swalec half full ( and there's many freebies), 6-7,000? Who will come along new that isn't attending already? And there's not a chance that people will travel from Gloucestershire or Somerset - and I don't blame them.
#23117
I would only go and watch the new T20 side if there were a significant proportion of young players from the South West counties playing alongside a few "stars". Have no interest in watching a load of old timers squeezing a bit more out of the system.
#23118
glamman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm
I would only go and watch the new T20 side if there were a significant proportion of young players from the South West counties playing alongside a few "stars". Have no interest in watching a load of old timers squeezing a bit more out of the system.
I'm not familiar with the make up of these City teams. Are there any rules laid down that define where the players come from ? Will the Cardiff team be basically a Glamorgan one ?
#23121
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm
glamman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm
I would only go and watch the new T20 side if there were a significant proportion of young players from the South West counties playing alongside a few "stars". Have no interest in watching a load of old timers squeezing a bit more out of the system.
I'm not familiar with the make up of these City teams. Are there any rules laid down that define where the players come from ? Will the Cardiff team be basically a Glamorgan one ?
Of what I have read there will simply be an auction. 15 in a squad of which 3 are overseas. So two factors will be ahead of any rule:

1. will the franchise want any of Glamorgan's players.
2. Will any other franchise want any of Glamorgan's players.

If, for example, the former is true but the latter unlikely, the franchise based at the SWALEC will not have to bid very much on domestic players and so be able to splash out either on overseas players and or one star such as Jos Buttler (if England players are made available).

At a certain point maths comes into the equation.

There are 18 counties say on average 20 domestic players each = 360.
Ther are 8 franchises each will have 12 domestic players = 96
96 players is a little more than an average of 5 players involved from each county.

The rest will be playing RL50 county games
#23124
chris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm
glamman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm
I would only go and watch the new T20 side if there were a significant proportion of young players from the South West counties playing alongside a few "stars". Have no interest in watching a load of old timers squeezing a bit more out of the system.
I'm not familiar with the make up of these City teams. Are there any rules laid down that define where the players come from ? Will the Cardiff team be basically a Glamorgan one ?
Of what I have read there will simply be an auction. 15 in a squad of which 3 are overseas. So two factors will be ahead of any rule:

1. will the franchise want any of Glamorgan's players.
2. Will any other franchise want any of Glamorgan's players.

If, for example, the former is true but the latter unlikely, the franchise based at the SWALEC will not have to bid very much on domestic players and so be able to splash out either on overseas players and or one star such as Jos Buttler (if England players are made available).

At a certain point maths comes into the equation.

There are 18 counties say on average 20 domestic players each = 360.
Ther are 8 franchises each will have 12 domestic players = 96
96 players is a little more than an average of 5 players involved from each county.

The rest will be playing RL50 county games
Thanks chris. That's a little clearer. Just a couple of queries, which you may, or may not, be able to answer.

What is the source of the money required to pay for the auctioned players ?

Will the 8 franchises have the same amount of money to spend at the auction ?
#23125
glamman wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:40 am
Have they defined if a certain number of players should be under a specific age?
I would have thought that would be illegal under the Equality Act.

That's why the ECB can only offer incentives to counties to play younger players under the banner of young player development. They can't say "You must play 5 players aged under 25", etc.
#23126
Ian wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm

What has baffled me from the start about the new t20 is who is going to watch it? The ecb claim it's to bring new people to the game.
It won't be part of county membership as its not a Glamorgan game, so grumpy old gits like me won't be going.
In mid summer, on a balmy Friday night, the club staff work their guts out to get the Swalec half full ( and there's many freebies), 6-7,000? Who will come along new that isn't attending already? And there's not a chance that people will travel from Gloucestershire or Somerset - and I don't blame them.
This has been my concern all along, and I haven't seen it adequately answered.

As you say, very few people will travel. I would think that the overwhelming majority of people who attend Blast matches, and domestic sport in general, live in the town/city where it is being played.

There was recently a survey of average numbers of away fans in the football Championship, and even the very highest averaged around 3,000. That's in a sport where clubs attract 20,000+ dedicated home fans regularly and travel to support is an embedded part of the sport's culture.

When it comes to the Blast, in my experience, a large proportion of attendees are what would be defined as 'supporters' of the club. Take them away and that just leaves the 'night out' crowd.

If as you say, Glamorgan have to work hard to get 7,000 in for a Blast game, who are these thousands of people who will come to these matches?
#23128
glamman wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 am
With regard to what the remaining county players will be doing during this period, I think I read this morning that a county T20 competition will be running.
I thought the clear intention in the 2020 outline schedule was that only the 50 over cup will run alongside the City Franchise.

T20 Blast final on July 11, with Franchise starting on July 17 - hence "protecting" the Blast.

No Championship cricket during Franchise, so the only competition that is devalued in terms of player availability will be the 50 over cup.
#23129
PaulTavs wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 am
glamman wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 am
With regard to what the remaining county players will be doing during this period, I think I read this morning that a county T20 competition will be running.
I thought the clear intention in the 2020 outline schedule was that only the 50 over cup will run alongside the City Franchise.

T20 Blast final on July 11, with Franchise starting on July 17 - hence "protecting" the Blast.

No Championship cricket during Franchise, so the only competition that is devalued in terms of player availability will be the 50 over cup.
The BBC website from yesterday (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43063449) states:
The as yet unnamed tournament will run for an initial five years from 2020 and be played alongside the existing T20 Blast.
Somerset v Glamorgan ODC 20 May

Match 2 and a trip to Taunton. Should be a good on[…]

Royal London One Day Cup

Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new compe[…]

2nd XI

Personally I think it is very disappointing that t[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]