A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:50 pm
Maynard is in Leicester.

112 for Lawlor for his club today. We really need one of the 2s batsmen to score some runs but there isn't much to choose from.
I'm never quite sure what a coach brings to the party. Either you are good enough, or you're not.
What exactly can a coach do to, say, Donald, other than an arm around the shoulder, a little word of encouragement, or a kick up the backside.
Sadly, it seems that the continuing message is that too many Glam players are simply not good enough for Championship cricket. All the talk of promotion just brings a smile to my face.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:01 pm
glamman wrote:
Maynard is in Leicester.

112 for Lawlor for his club today. We really need one of the 2s batsmen to score some runs but there isn't much to choose from.
I'm never quite sure what a coach brings to the party. Either you are good enough, or you're not.
What exactly can a coach do to, say, Donald, other than an arm around the shoulder, a little word of encouragement, or a kick up the backside.
Sadly, it seems that the continuing message is that too many Glam players are simply not good enough for Championship cricket. All the talk of promotion just brings a smile to my face.
You seem to think players just walk out onto the field of play or the court (tennis) or the course (golf) and just hit the ball. Are you unaware of the hours of practice that have to be put in to reach an elite level and then stay there? I doubt there is any top sportsman or woman who does not rely on a coach for technical advice as well as the motivational support you refer to.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
glamman wrote:
Maynard is in Leicester.

They bring a huge amount in terms of making subtle changes to the players' techniques.

I have to say that I'm also a little surprised that any Glamorgan fan would question the value of coaching after 1997.
By Nick_Glam
We desperately need some quick wickets after tea to keep us in with a chance.

Then we probably need a big score from Marsh as well...
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:05 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
glamman wrote:
Maynard is in Leicester.

You seem to think players just walk out onto the field of play or the court (tennis) or the course (golf) and just hit the ball. Are you unaware of the hours of practice that have to be put in to reach an elite level and then stay there? I doubt there is any top sportsman or woman who does not rely on a coach for technical advice as well as the motivational support you refer to.
Where did I state, or even think, that players just walk out onto the field of play, etc.? I am TOTALLY aware of the hours of practice and commitment that individuals make. You miss my point. I was referring to players who have gone through ALL of the hard work, etc., but fall short when it comes to doing the business. What use is a coach THEN ? How much coaching does a person need ? At what point does the coach say, this person just isn't up to it ?
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:09 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
glamman wrote:
Maynard is in Leicester.

They bring a huge amount in terms of making subtle changes to the players' techniques.

I have to say that I'm also a little surprised that any Glamorgan fan would question the value of coaching after 1997.
I am a trifle baffled by your last paragraph. What has 1997 got to do with anything ? I know Glam won the title that year, but I don't see the connection
to coaching.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
I am a trifle baffled by your last paragraph. What has 1997 got to do with anything ? I know Glam won the title that year, but I don't see the connection
to coaching
Well, do you think it was a coincidence that we won the Championship the very season that we appointed a world class coach?
By Nick_Glam
Even by our recent standards, that goes down as a dreadful day of cricket.

Hopefully Day 3 will bring about another change in fortune.
By Iron Mike
Day 2 close

Leicestershire 191 & 119/2 lead
Glamorgan 178 by 132 runs

At start the weather bright and warm. From 82-0 to 91-3 within a few overs Selman out without playing a stroke Donald bowled trying to pull 118-4 12.10pm 124-4

2.05pm all out 2nd ball after lunch de Lange bowled bright and breezy .19 by TvG Hogan out at mid on. 178 and no batting point.

Carberry scratched around for 20 62-1 Horton played beautifully for 50 lbw Lloyd 76-2 clouds gathering Tea 4.04pm 109-2

Rain brought an early close with Leicestershire in a good looking position.

My thanks as ever to Cynonexile. We're still in this. Pivotal session in the morning weather permitting.
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:29 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
to coaching
Well, do you think it was a coincidence that we won the Championship the very season that we appointed a world class coach?
So, who did he coach so successfully that the entire team benefitted ?
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:
to coaching
Do you have any conclusive proof that it wasn't a coincidence ?
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:
to coaching
It could be said, and some have, that the key signing of Waqar Younis won the championship. How much coaching did he get that summer ?
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 pm
Nick_Glam wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:
to coaching
:lol

Well, the testimony of the players, the pundits, the England bosses etc. for a start.

And you asked about who he coached so successfully. Here's a quote from Matthew Maynard regarding Darren Thomas:

"Duncan realised Darren's potential and worked with him to fulfil it. He improved his action and Darren became exactly what the coach had predicted."

Here's a comment from Steve James:

"The other coaches we've had - Alan Jones and John Derrick - have been from the inside and we've grown up with them. They've been very helpful but having someone from the outside who didn't know what we were all about got another two per cent out of each player. Everyone was trying to impress Duncan. His fielding exercises were completely new, good fun and helped us improve."

Those are just two quotes and there are dozens of others.

And if you don't agree with them, we will have to agree to disagree.
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 pm
Nick_Glam wrote:

:lol

Well, the testimony of the players, the pundits, the England bosses etc. for a start.

And you asked about who he coached so successfully. Here's a quote from Matthew Maynard regarding Darren Thomas:

"Duncan realised Darren's potential and worked with him to fulfil it. He improved his action and Darren became exactly what the coach had predicted."

Here's a comment from Steve James:

"The other coaches we've had - Alan Jones and John Derrick - have been from the inside and we've grown up with them. They've been very helpful but having someone from the outside who didn't know what we were all about got another two per cent out of each player. Everyone was trying to impress Duncan. His fielding exercises were completely new, good fun and helped us improve."

Those are just two quotes and there are dozens of others.

And if you don't agree with them, we will have to agree to disagree.
Now why would I disagree with them ? I merely asked the question.
Thanks for the input, by the way.

The " everyone was trying to impress Duncan " actually answers my question.

Fletcher's presence clearly affected the team and it's performance, very much the same as when Viv Richards strode into the dressing room.
Personalities rather than coaching, perhaps.

I'm still unsure of what coaching has done to the likes of Donald, who seems to be regressing.

If you don't agree, we'll have to disagree.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:44 am

I'm still unsure of what coaching has done to the likes of Donald, who seems to be regressing.

If you don't agree, we'll have to disagree.
Err, no.

Where have I ever said that Donald has received the right coaching up to this point?

Hopefully Maynard can have an affect as the season goes on. If he can't have an affect on the batsmen, then he obviously wasn't the right choice. That doesn't mean that no coach could have an affect however.
Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]