A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:44 am

I'm still unsure of what coaching has done to the likes of Donald, who seems to be regressing.

If you don't agree, we'll have to disagree.
Err, no.

Where have I ever said that Donald has received the right coaching up to this point?

Hopefully Maynard can have an affect as the season goes on. If he can't have an affect on the batsmen, then he obviously wasn't the right choice. That doesn't mean that no coach could have an affect however.
Err, where did I suggest that you ever said that Donald has received the right coaching ?
I think coaching has more than a little of The Emperor's Clothes about it. A lot of myth for your money.
That's not to say that some people don't benefit from it.
How much coaching does any person need ? When does the light switch come into play with realisation dawning that no amount of coaching will do any good ?
Coaches, aka, jobs for the boys.
Cynical ? A little bit.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 am

Err, where did I suggest that you ever said that Donald has received the right coaching ?
I think coaching has more than a little of The Emperor's Clothes about it. A lot of myth for your money.
That's not to say that some people don't benefit from it.
How much coaching does any person need ? When does the light switch come into play with realisation dawning that no amount of coaching will do any good ?
Coaches, aka, jobs for the boys.
Cynical ? A little bit.
Ah, I can agree with some of what you say there. There are some players who, even with the best coaching, will never make it. I think that on paper we have glaring deficiencies in the squad and even the best coaches would struggle to cause a complete turnaround.

And yes, there has been an element of "jobs for the boys" recently and it is difficult to know from the outside whether they are the best men for the job.

The coaches have a tough job on their hands though, that's for sure. One thing that struck me when looking over the 1997 period, is that we had a team of mostly experienced pros. Fletcher would spend some time with them going over small changes of technique or different practice methods, but he would also have plenty of time to devote to youngsters like Thomas, Cosker and Butcher.

Now 6 of our top 8 are relatively inexperienced players and Maynard has an awful lot of work to do.
Vetchetarian liked this
By Iron Mike
Bright and warm Hogan bowled well from pavilion end. Run scoring slow. Raine attacking taking risks, Glamorgan don't want to chase too many
Lunch at 1.10pm 191-7

My thanks to Cynonexile.

Fingers crossed we will be batting again by 3pm.
By Nick_Glam
Another good effort by the bowlers.

I'm sure none of us feel particularly confident about chasing down 251, but against Leics it really shouldn't be beyond us. Could really do with Marsh getting a score.
By Iron Mike
2-47pm all out two difficult catches taken by Cooke to get rid of Parkinson and Dexter Raine chanced his arm whist protecting Aaron 251 to win plenty of overs to do it.

Copyright Cynonexile. Diolch.

My bad...251 it is. Just bat sensibly and we'll win.

Cmon Glammy Cmon!
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:47 pm
Another good effort by the bowlers.

I'm sure none of us feel particularly confident about chasing down 251, but against Leics it really shouldn't be beyond us. Could really do with Marsh getting a score.
Coach for Marsh, methinks.
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:55 pm
51-4 with Murphy now gone as well...

Turgid and depressing stuff.
101/6.

Yet another gutless, spineless batting performance. Time for a new batting coach, methinks.
By exileKT8
As you type Vetch another wicket goes, and Leics 18 match search for a win nears a close. Can always rely on Glammy to help out teams in such circumstances.
The End of Test Cricket

The current format of Test Cricket Tours is going […]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

Somerset v Glamorgan

The weather seems likely to end up the winner toda[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]