Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By Umpire
The ECB are considering moving to  one up-one down between the two divisions on a permanent basis.

They have been lobbied by Middlesex, Surrey and Yorkshire and may be others that now there are only 8 teams in division one, relegating a quarter of them every season is too much.

The  division two counties will argue that promoting only one in ten is not enough, of course.

But I can see the Test match counties in division one getting their way on this for 2018.
By chris
[quote="Umpire"]
The ECB are considering moving to  one up-one down between the two divisions on a permanent basis.

They have been lobbied by Middlesex, Surrey and Yorkshire and may be others that now there are only 8 teams in division one, relegating a quarter of them every season is too much.

The  division two counties will argue that promoting only one in ten is not enough, of course.

But I can see the Test match counties in division one getting their way on this for 2018.
[/quote]

The ECB have made a rod for their own back - if that's the right expression.  2 down from 8 is harsh.  1 up from 10 is also harsh.  Do we assume they are hoping for two counties to revert back to MC status?  Or do they simply not care, that much about 4 day loss making cricket?
By LankyShark
"Or do they simply not care, that much about 4 day loss making cricket?"

Certainly they don't care at all. Playing early April and late September. Bad weather and usually no holidays, for schools anyway. How disappointed they will be if the weather stays like this and because of that and the lateness of Easter holidays this year, people go to watch. No doubt though next year it will give them an even better case when the weather is cooler and Easter is earlier. "look. A fall in attendances. Who can we chop?"

It's ONLY purpose as far as they are concerned is to provide a test team. Most other countries make their test teams from fewer first class teams, so why can't we do the same? 

Perhaps the ultimate plan is 8 First Class teams playing home and away in the CC and 50 over while the City Teams play the T20. 

I don't suspect that's actually been admitted even privately yet, but it would seem to be a logical outcome.
By gmdf
[quote="LankyShark"]
"Or do they simply not care, that much about 4 day loss making cricket?"

Certainly they don't care at all. Playing early April and late September. Bad weather and usually no holidays, for schools anyway. How disappointed they will be if the weather stays like this and because of that and the lateness of Easter holidays this year, people go to watch. No doubt though next year it will give them an even better case when the weather is cooler and Easter is earlier. "look. A fall in attendances. Who can we chop?"

It's ONLY purpose as far as they are concerned is to provide a test team. Most other countries make their test teams from fewer first class teams, so why can't we do the same? 

Perhaps the ultimate plan is 8 First Class teams playing home and away in the CC and 50 over while the City Teams play the T20. 

I don't suspect that's actually been admitted even privately yet, but it would seem to be a logical outcome.
[/quote]

It's no wonder Graves is in favour of 4 day Tests - if the County Championship is increasingly marginalised players like Cook & Root (& maybe Hameed) will be from the last generation who know how to play for a 5 day match!
By Iron Mike
However did we manage with 3 up and 3 down? That was meant to bring competitiveness. Ring fencing will be next to protect a big county like Yorkshire from another long spell in the wilderness. Cricket is meant to be the most cyclical game of all, testament to having 18 counties.

One division 18 county cricket would be even better but that won't happen again in current climate.
By Ian
I've said it all along, the 8 team T20 is the thin end of the wedge.

Once they get that through, then they'll believe they have license to create 8 'centres of excellence' (sic) for all forms of the game, and the rest can go and whistle for their lunch. For some counties to vote through the proposed changes is the proverbial 'turkeys/christmas' scenario with the said counties stuffing themselves.

I'm afraid that the county game many of us know, love and have been brought up on, will be unrecognizable in 5-10 years.
By gmdf
[quote="Ian"]
I've said it all along, the 8 team T20 is the thin end of the wedge.

Once they get that through, then they'll believe they have license to create 8 'centres of excellence' (sic) for all forms of the game, and the rest can go and whistle for their lunch. For some counties to vote through the proposed changes is the proverbial 'turkeys/christmas' scenario with the said counties stuffing themselves.

I'm afraid that the county game many of us know, love and have been brought up on, will be unrecognizable in 5-10 years.
[/quote]

I rather fear you are right about this :(
By mav
The Championship makes money, if (a very big if!) you accept it is the core reason most buy memberships AND part and parcel of creating a test side.

England makes money so the comp that feeds it players should be part of the that. IMHO
By Iron Mike
Don't put it past ring fencing dependent on who comes bottom and licence application after that...if you finish top and on election into d1. County cricket isn't rugby.

Revert to one division would be great but is most unlikely to happen with the current setup.
By davee
mav wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am
The Championship makes money, if (a very big if!) you accept it is the core reason most buy memberships AND part and parcel of creating a test side.

England makes money so the comp that feeds it players should be part of the that. IMHO
The County Championship generates ALL the money .
If there was no County Championship there would be no Test players, similarly if there was no 2nd II cricket (which is badly negelected) there would be no County Teams only teams of mercenaries touring for the summer in between T20 contests.
By Iron Mike
So much has been discussed...eg 3 conferences of open draw or regional 6 and a play off system to bring about 12 maximum matches...or even 7. How could that work properly with the vagaries of the weather?

T20 has gone past a point of no return ...yes it is now the cash cow for the counties but originally less really was more. £90 for finals day tickets last year is not enticing families. 16 group games was too much now the promised franchise because aparently tv dictates. T20 has its place but it isn't the true pillar of the game.

My observation is people accept the cc as underpinning the national test team which should perhaps be strengthened with more prize money or incentives to do better in...eg more for coming 3rd rather than 9th. If this is already in place then the information isn't out there.

By chopping up the cc more won't help in the long run like 2 divisions hasn't worked in the sense that you can't be true champions if you haven't played everyone else. Lancashire in the 80s and 90s were such a good one day side but couldn't go to places like Derby in the cold and grind a win out.

With a season spanning 7 months there are so many blank weekends with no cc cricket in the summer...Glam have had their last weekend cc match already at Worcester last week...in June. Other counties will be similar. ...being starved of revenue. Friday to Mondays are brilliant and Glam have had 2 cc matches at home over whole BHs to be fair. The counties should be accessible to all with more weekend cricket and you see so many youngsters at cc matches too, proving t20 isn't the only appeal of the sport. Is it because of the recreational game or avoiding player burn out is debatable.
Ticket info for Wed

NatWest T20 Blast Quarter-Final at The SSE SWALEC […]

It seems that the size of Kleinveldt is beginning […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

T20 final group matches

Three to go after a good win yesterday. Leics on F[…]