Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By gmdf
mav wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am
I think that the umpire not having the final say is a bigger blow to the sport than all this T20 stuff.
Surely the fact that more decisions are now correct (especially run outs, stumpings and 'feathered' catches) makes the game better (& fairer)? With modern technology umpires making an honest (but wrong) decision are shown up & embarrassed, which helps no-one.
Last edited by gmdf on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mav
gmdf wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm
mav wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am
I think that the umpire not having the final say is a bigger blow to the sport than all this T20 stuff.
Surely the fact that more decisions are now correct (especially run outs, stumpings and 'feathered' catches) makes the game better (& fairer)? With modern technology umpires making an honest (but wrong) decision is shown up & embarrassed, which helps no-one.
Not for me, wrong decisions are part of sport, umpires get much less wrong than players and I miss the fact a umpire was respected before.
By gmdf
Just read this Tweet:
The Full Toss Cricket Blog‏
@thefulltoss
Follow Follow @thefulltoss
More
So the Big Bash has lost $33m in its first 5 years, despite the big crowds and the fact that cricket fans have a natural affinity with their teams. What on earth is the ECB’s new city comp going to lose when many fans ignore it and keep watching their counties?
Wonder how the ECB feel - seems to me they are gambling with the future of English cricket.
By LankyShark
Looks like an excuse for a further reduction in the Championship. Why don’t they make the CC into a knockout tournament instead?

They could play it between the top 4 teams in the T20 once the proper season is over. Say in October? It could be restricted to under 12s?

Perhaps I shouldn’t give them ideas. But that’s certainly the way it is going.
PaulTavs, Iron Mike liked this
By Iron Mike
gmdf wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 am
An interesting article on what the new Franchise T20 may mean for the counties here:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -proposals
That was a source of hot debate at our match in Bristol. If tests go to 4 days there could be scope to revert to 3 day cc with one division.

I'd rather one division of 4 days with alternate fixtures but it's not going to happen. As long as the cc is an open draw and not regionalised and county membership reflects the reduction in proper cricket...we'll see. Or could Scotland Holland Ireland Denmark or even minor counties combination be included?

As for ko comp...brings prospect of visiting different away grounds. As it used to be.

If cc is reduced to 5 home matches it could spell the end of more outgrounds for cc. On the other side though is scope to use them when the county hq is used for the t16.4

The visiting tourists should play more counties and upgrade them to challenge matches..as they used to be. Also perhaps play the fc Irish provinces, the associates etc. Keep fc alive somehow in the t16.4 as no doubt most county fans will want to see their team in the best weather and especially over weekends.
By gmdf
The ECB haven't finished with tinkering with the game they are supposed to defend:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -sftfnjm88
The ECB’s new 100-ball, family-friendly format could be split into two spells of 50 successive balls from each end of the ground.

It had previously been thought that the eight-team tournament, which will start in 2020 and has been provisionally called “The Hundred”, would feature two innings made up of 15 traditional six-ball overs and one ten-ball over.

But The Times understands that the ECB is so determined to ensure matches do not last longer than two-and-a-half hours that it is still considering alternative ways in which the 100 balls could be divided.

The ECB is mindful that there has been criticism of the 16-over idea and wants to avoid complicating the new game. It has even discussed abandoning leg-before as a method of dismissal, although it is understood this was considered too radical a change and was not seriously considered.

Sky and BBC, who will broadcast the new event, are keen for the game to be shorter, but it is understood that they do not want it to stray too far from the fundamental laws of cricket.

Also of interest:

The eight teams will be managed by a committee and a general manager. The committee will contain officials from two or three counties with the partnerships at each venue as follows: The Oval — Surrey and Kent; Lord’s — Middlesex, Northamptonshire and Essex; Southampton — Hampshire and Sussex; Cardiff — Glamorgan, Gloucestershire and Somerset; Headingley — Yorkshire and Durham; Trent Bridge — Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire; Edgbaston — Warwickshire and Worcestershire; Old Trafford — Lancashire only.
By TWrex
With the 50 over comp. back on the tele. there has been much debate during commentary about the tournament & its side effects. Michael Atherton suggests there should be some of rounds of championship & 50 over cricket whilst it is taking place. To give meaningful cricket to young players coming through & an alternative to a non stop 20/20 diet. Matches to be played at non franchise grounds & outgrounds. At first glance it seems a good idea, doubtless there are flaws to be pointed out, but worthy of some consideration.
By Iron Mike
Even pro rugby keep playing when the world cup is on during the season. The counties have got to keep playing but meaningful stuff like a ko cup, play the Irish provinces, the MCCUs etc.

Also make tourist matches in standstill-cost membership packages to make counties play their strongest xi possible. Like they did when it was the old Tetley challenge and not an excuse to milk money from members to watch the away side have a glorified net from the stiffs.

Reversion to an 18 county single cc division would be even better.
By chris
Iron Mike wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:35 am
The counties have got to keep playing but meaningful stuff like a ko cup, play the Irish provinces, the MCCUs etc.

Also make tourist matches in standstill-cost membership packages to make counties play their strongest xi possible. Like they did when it was the old Tetley challenge and not an excuse to milk money from members to watch the away side have a glorified net from the stiffs.

Reversion to an 18 county single cc division would be even better.
Agree, counties need to keep playing. Would be crazy not to play in the 'height' of summer / school holidays.
What happens will come out of the fine detail regarding the make up of the franchises. If it's a proper auction some counties might only lose 1 or 2 players, other counties may lose 8 to 10 - including their kolpaks and overseas. So the ECB may be forced into artificially limiting any auction to maintain more even playing squads across the counties. Doubt 2nd XIs will play much.
Tourist matches will always now be limited by the touring sides wishes as well as the home side trying to catch them cold. Can't see a return to extended tours. Couldn't begin to guess the last time Lancs played a major touring side not including the likes of Bangladesh A.
Can't see a return to a 17 match first class championship. Even if 17 is not much more than 14. Somethings just don't grow in size.
By onemorerun
From what has been posted on here, it sounds as though Lancashire are effectively fully involved in this "tournament", so hard to see how they could continue to play county matches of any kind.

My " own" franchise is based at Lord's, about 65 miles from Northampton, so I can say now that I won't be taking any interest whatsoever.
By gmdf
onemorerun wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am
From what has been posted on here, it sounds as though Lancashire are effectively fully involved in this "tournament", so hard to see how they could continue to play county matches of any kind.

My " own" franchise is based at Lord's, about 65 miles from Northampton, so I can say now that I won't be taking any interest whatsoever.
Lancashire (along with the counties where the other franchises are based) would play at outgrounds...
By chris
gmdf wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:05 pm
onemorerun wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 am

Lancashire (along with the counties where the other franchises are based) would play at outgrounds...
Lancs claim, other than the franchise using their ground, they will have nothing to do with the competition. They will not be marketing it.

When push comes to shove, things may be different.

Good interview with Matt Walker here, discussing t[…]

Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]