Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
Seems to me the no test ground sides have very little chance of winning the league as the test ground counties (TGC) have such a huge cash advantage.

Should this be rebalanced do you think or is all fair in love and cricket?
[quote="mav"]
Seems to me the no test ground sides have very little chance of winning the league as the test ground counties (TGC) have such a huge cash advantage.

[/quote]

was it that long ago that Sussex won their championships?
[quote="chris"]
[quote="mav"]

[/quote]

was it that long ago that Sussex won their championships?
[/quote]

Sussex last won eight years ago.  A lot has happened in that time. If the ECB was interested in English cricket, as opposed to England cricket, they should undoubtedly spread the cash more widely.

If say Northants and Leicester had ceased to exist 20 years ago, would England have found Swann, Panesar and Broad (or Taylor and Willey)?  Maybe or maybe not,  but it's certainly not guaranteed.
[quote="LankyShark"]
Lancashire (the yoyo county) and Surrey (after some time), have just been promoted from Division 2. 

Has all this extra money really helped them over the last few years?  The costs of getting (and more relevantly) keeping it at Tesl level are enormous.
[/quote]

But the outlay is worth it, it seems.

If a non Test county was mismanaged the way either of those sides are they would be gone already!
The main problem remains too many 1st class counties and an overdilution of talent and money. It also means too many fixtures in the Championship.
Plenty of top players have been born in counties without 1st class status - they just migrate to the nearest 1st class county having played junior cricket with their minor county. The minor counties, although maybe not as strong as the big 1st class counties at junior level (mainly due to populations), compete in the same competitions.
[quote="glamman"]
The main problem remains too many 1st class counties and an overdilution of talent and money. It also means too many fixtures in the Championship.
[/quote]

I disagree, I think the core issue the championship has is to many draws. A rule tweak or two could fix this easily enough.

As for not enough Talent do you think allowing more overseas (but not unlimited obviously) would be beneficial? It would mean players need to work harder to make the first teams and raise the standard of Cricket (not something I support but nor am I against it)
[quote="mav"]
[quote="glamman"]
[/quote]

I disagree, I think the core issue the championship has is to many draws. A rule tweak or two could fix this easily enough.

As for not enough Talent do you think allowing more overseas (but not unlimited obviously) would be beneficial? It would mean players need to work harder to make the first teams and raise the standard of Cricket (not something I support but nor am I against it)
[/quote]

The problem with having more overseas players is who would you get. Need quality and with the excess of international cricket plus T20 competitions, there are not enough top players available.
There are probably too many Championship games but that is due to the number of counties. Going to a 3 division system would be a disaster for those in Div3 and they would fast head towards a semi-pro / minor counties level as better players moved to counties in divisions 1 and 2, more so than they do already.

I would not want to manufacture draws through changing the rules. If a team holds on for a draw that can be exciting. The points differential already creates a strong stimulus to go for the win but I would not want to go back to the shenanigans that went on when we had 3 day Championship games. Yorkshire won 11 of 16 matches last season - good teams will win - poorer teams won't. Surrey won half their games which in a 4 day game is a good return. No need to change. If you want a result every time go to a T20.  :)
Not manufacturing draws, I was thinking tweaking play time (more flexibility) so rain affected games are more likely to get a proper resolution.

Also I find the double think from the ECB odd, they think the longer version of county cricket unimportant but the test game is...

I wonder if there are enough players in (Non test) countries that are a good standard that can break into the championship? I bet if you allowed an extra player or two from these sides it would bring up the standard.
[quote="mav"]
Not manufacturing draws, I was thinking tweaking play time (more flexibility) so rain affected games are more likely to get a proper resolution.

Also I find the double think from the ECB odd, they think the longer version of county cricket unimportant but the test game is...

I wonder if there are enough players in (Non test) countries that are a good standard that can break into the championship? I bet if you allowed an extra player or two from these sides it would bring up the standard.
[/quote]

Making up time would be sensible as long as individual players were not being put at risk through having to bowl too many overs in a day.

I think counties struggle to find overseas players as it is and if there are high quality players in 2nd tier nations they would already be tapped. I do not like seeing overseas players coming into a county to play for a few weeks and then leaving. Part of their role is to help develop our youngsters and they should be at a county for the whole season.
[quote="glamman"]
[quote="mav"]

[/quote]

Making up time would be sensible as long as individual players were not being put at risk through having to bowl too many overs in a day.

I think counties struggle to find overseas players as it is and if there are high quality players in 2nd tier nations they would already be tapped. I do not like seeing overseas players coming into a county to play for a few weeks and then leaving. Part of their role is to help develop our youngsters and they should be at a county for the whole season.
[/quote]

Thats why I said non test nations, they play fewer games!

I am not sure we do look hard enough abroad, seems to me we always get test or ex test players over.

As for developing youngsters - the ECB encourages that by funding, just carry on as is.
[quote="mav"]
[quote="glamman"]
[quote="mav"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats why I said non test nations, they play fewer games!

I am not sure we do look hard enough abroad, seems to me we always get test or ex test players over.

[/quote]

A major part of the problem in finding good overseas players is that the ECB tightened up the rules so that overseas players generally have to have played a test match or a certain number of LOIs within a recent fairly short time period.

This, I recall, is why Northants lost Johann Van der Wath and Ricky Wessels, also why Trent Copeland couldn't return, and why Cameron White couldn't come back to play T20 (he had been Australia T20 captain but wasn't in the test team).  No doubt other counties have been similarly hit.  These rules, presumably aimed at opening up places for English youngsters, cannot possibly be said to have done anything other than weaken the standard overall.  What a great policy for the governing body to have!

I think I worked out once that if these rules had been in place years ago, Northants would never have been able to recruit Curtley Ambrose, Matt Hayden, Mike Hussey or ..... Allan Lamb!
[quote="mav"]

[/quote]

The Counties playing on Test Grounds  have disadvatages as well as advantages, the money shareout favours the Test Counties but they do have larger overheads than 'the shoestring' counties. On the playing side they do find it difficult to get results at home, some seasons have passed at Old Trafford with hardly a win, the season they won the Championship no matches were played at HQ.

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]

Ben Duckett

Has signed a contract extension until 2018. Grea[…]

Unacceptable behaviour.

Stokes. Bairstow. Duckett. Just what is going on […]