Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By davee
A 'GREAT' IDEA' they might as well play behind closed doors and save on the gatemen and stewards, if it is be based on the Test Grounds, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Durham, Notts, Warks, Lords, Oval, Cardiff & Southampton that only leaves out Derbyshire out in the North. Are they going to distribute the men of Kent and the gentlemen of Sussex around the North?
If they market it as a City based scheme I'm afraid you won't have anybody from Bradford, Liverpool or Portsmouth supporting Leeds, Manchester or Southampton.
By mav
I think the consensus is they don't care about us, they care about the "new" money they could get, confident we will drag our heals and eventually cave in.
[quote="davee"]
A 'GREAT' IDEA' they might as well play behind closed doors and save on the gatemen and stewards, if it is be based on the Test Grounds, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Durham, Notts, Warks, Lords, Oval, Cardiff & Southampton that only leaves out Derbyshire out in the North. Are they going to distribute the men of Kent and the gentlemen of Sussex around the North?
If they market it as a City based scheme I'm afraid you won't have anybody from Bradford, Liverpool or Portsmouth supporting Leeds, Manchester or Southampton.
[/quote]

You mention 9 test grounds but they are saying only 8 teams, so someone will miss out.

Interesting they're talking about a 2 to 3 week competition only - a good thing for county cricket, but what if it rains?

Doesn't sound like anyone really knows any detail, but counties like the sound of getting a lot of money for what may essentially be a mid-season break.

If players are centrally contracted to ECB for those weeks, and allocated around the country, it would be better than if it was just done on a purely geographic basis, in which case for example the team based at Nottingham would just come to be regarded as Notts. 

I can see lots of the best players being left out for star names, eg Northants (T20 winners) Sanderson, Gleeson and Azharullah not getting a chance because say Stuart Broad is a bigger 'name', though not actually as good in this format.

In summary, a lot of work still needs to be done on the detail.  I'm hoping that it will be less disastrous than Mav fears.

And in response to Bucksman's latest post, I would want to have the cheque cleared before agreeing - we know the ECB has the money in the bank anyway.
By chris
[quote="onemorerun"]
[quote="davee"]
[/quote]

You mention 9 test grounds but they are saying only 8 teams, so someone will miss out.

Interesting they're talking about a 2 to 3 week competition only - a good thing for county cricket, but what if it rains?

Doesn't sound like anyone really knows any detail, but counties like the sound of getting a lot of money for what may essentially be a mid-season break.

If players are centrally contracted to ECB for those weeks, and allocated around the country, it would be better than if it was just done on a purely geographic basis, in which case for example the team based at Nottingham would just come to be regarded as Notts. 

I can see lots of the best players being left out for star names, eg Northants (T20 winners) Sanderson, Gleeson and Azharullah not getting a chance because say Stuart Broad is a bigger 'name', though not actually as good in this format.

In summary, a lot of work still needs to be done on the detail.  I'm hoping that it will be less disastrous than Mav fears.

And in response to Bucksman's latest post, I would want to have the cheque cleared before agreeing - we know the ECB has the money in the bank anyway.
[/quote]

So many aspects unknown.
Will it follow the Women's Super League allocation or will there be bidding? 
Will the ECB release the likes of Buttler, Root, Stokes, Hales and other centrally contracted players?
Will they release them en masse or pick and choose as they currently do?
I can only think of one guaranteed aspect:
If the 2018 schedule doesn't work, Messrs Graves, Harrison and Strauss will change it for 2020 and then after a survey in 2019/2020 they change it again because the survey suggested something untried which was different.
By davee
There are a lot of unknowns and contradictions, one view of around 30 odd matches is one per day for tele which doesn't equate to 2-3 weeks. the projected £1.3 million  doesn't seem a lot between 18 and the lions share will probably end up with the hosting clubs leaving the poor even poorer as they've lost all the County Championship & Festivals revenue for June, July & August.
How about turning the clock back 50 years and have the Caveliers on a Sunday?
[quote="davee"]
the projected £1.3 million  doesn't seem a lot between 18 and the lions share will probably end up with the hosting clubs leaving the poor even poorer as they've lost all the County Championship & Festivals revenue for June, July & August.
[/quote]

I think that's £1.3 million for each county that doesn't host matches.
Bucksman et al like you guys we've been discussing the permutation over the summer. One supposed possiblility was a 2 div structure next year so it was perhaps qf or bust. Tick.

Now the cards are still yet to be on the table as the hand isn't still fully visible. Tv will get their way however unlike Australia and India we don't have the population for multi million domestic viewers plus like them and the Caribbean we don't have guaranteed weather. Nor is cricket sadly the most prominent sport in the UKs wider culture.  Even in most of the summer for most of the population.

When t20 started it was more fun and has been taken to the nth degree commercially as is the way of the world.  Crowds may be up in the blast but unlike in 2004 when Glam went to finals day tickets were £25 this year they were as steep as £90 for our allocation. That isn't proportionate in the advance of time. I see on the Yorkies forum some parts of Edgbaston had no kids concessions..how can a family afford that?

For non hosting counties to be paid off by tv EWCB et al has its altrustic merit but the fact remains cricket is no fun in the rain wherever you are and it must be affordable or people simply won't come.

Regional rugby here is another argument if it's truly worked or not..or ever will.  Super League wasn't a bed of roses to set up as people have little or no affinity with forced mergers, shotgun marriages,  placename usage or grandfather rights...call it what you want.  Im ready to be pitched the sw franchise like Somerset and Glos fans are I suppose.

Maybe tv just wants to fill a hole in the pan-Asian schedules where the real lucre is. We'll see. After Stanford came the IPL...who aren't averse to closing down franchises in a country of Indias size. Would the EWCB do the same?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Premier_League
Have a look at this and this site as a whole if you want to be more enlightened about franchising closer to home than in New Zealand, America and Ireland.

As someone from the valleys area who has seen this all at close hand and the aftermath...people here argue the WRU killed valleys rugby in one go. I'd hate to see that in cricket circles.  As they say, be careful what you wish for.

https://thevietgwent.wordpress.com/2016 ... in-2003-2/
By chris
Surely, they could play the current T20 Blast earlier in the season (like the old B&H) before having the top 8 sides come back and have another shot at it, at 'peak' summer viewing time perhaps with extra imports to satisfy the TV income.

All 18 counties involved but with a second group stage, not just QF, SF and Final, for the money men/women.
[quote="Iron Mike"]

When t20 started it was more fun and has been taken to the nth degree commercially as is the way of the world.  Crowds may be up in the blast but unlike in 2004 when Glam went to finals day tickets were £25 this year they were as steep as £90 for our allocation. That isn't proportionate in the advance of time. I see on the Yorkies forum some parts of Edgbaston had no kids concessions..how can a family afford that?

[/quote]

The Rugby World Cup (RWC) had no junior concessions at the knock out stages. The reason given was that they could sell all the tickets to "real rugby fans". I didn't dare tell my elder son that he wasn't deemed a real rugby fan.

I guess it's the same at the T20 Finals Day. Why sell at cheaper prices when you can sell at higher prices to people who can afford it and will spend money on beer?

Long term it's stupid, but most of these organisations are only interested in today. 

Of course though, the RWC at least was shown on terrestrial TV so the "real rugby fans" who couldn't afford the big prices could watch it anyway, and those who one day may become real rugby fans could watch it too. Same with the annual Six Nations tournament held in Feb and Mar.

Cricket of course doesn't have that outlet.

To me. I agree with most of you that it's stupid.

But surely even stupid people know that a cricket tournament that's due to take place in England over 2/3 weeks can be decimated by rain. Most years of course it will work. But others it won't.

Yes I know that they usually manage to finish Wimbledon on time but they have lots of different courts to play on all at the same location, many of which are free for the second week and are available for catch up. Would this tournament have that same ability?  Would they want it?  Or would teams qualify for the SFs by virtue of having one win and lots of abandonments.
Jayawardene

signs for Lancashire (T20 blast) available for the[…]

Day night pink ball cc cricket...the first floodli[…]

v Leics 2 (floodlit)

Good to see Duckett back in gear in such attacking[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]