Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By gnosidious
With this article I agree on worrying:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 86257.html

To hold the RL One Day competition without the best limited overs players (as they are playing the City 20) means that the best 50 over players will get no 50 over practice. Billings would be a big example of this, likely to be selected for the T20 but best in the 50 over stuff.

Shortsighted considering this is Englands best format currently.

Also concerning to have potential financial sanctions on those opposing the structure like Kent, Sussex and Surrey.

Finally as a viewer, I don't want it all in blocks, this seasons structure is bad enough!
By judge9847
[quote="davee"]
It is all to be expected, when was the last time the powers that be got it right?[/quote]
The view, from one side or the other of any debate, just as with Brexit, is that no, the powers that be haven't got it right.  And for some, in this case, ECB have continued with their blind obsession that T20 is the only form of cricket that's worthwhile whilst to a lot of us it, nothing's further from the truth.

It does seem that in the distorted and myopic view of CostCutter Graves and his henchman Muttley Harrison it is and because they are who they are I guess they can't be wrong - as they'd see it.  So not much has changed since the days when Clarke of Lord's held sway over the sandwich choice but that's another story altogether.

The threat to those counties that don't line up with ECB-think is clearly substantial, if G. Dobell is to be believed, which, in and of itself, is a considerable leap of faith but there it is in black and white.  (Not that Dobell is worried about changing what he's written after first publication but let's trust him with this?)

The really worrying part of the article is the first part of the second paragraph:  "While the ECB has previously guaranteed counties a minimum payment of £1.3m a year, they have now warned that only those counties which have signed their media rights over to the ECB will be eligible for such a fee.

It's the bit that I've put in bold that worries me.  Media rights is a huge, valuable and growing business which will get bigger - and therefore more valuable - as the use of high speed broadband grows.  Any County is capable of delivering, by streaming, every match they participate in, no matter the format, if that's what they want to do.  Sign that over to a third party and there's real trouble ahead.  It would be like Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and the rest signing their rights over to the Football Association or FIFA or any other body that doesn't have a clue how to handle them.

It would be a serious, serious step to take and if done, it would signal a major fracture in the game as it's played here in England.  A fracture that could never be repaired I suspect.

My own solution would be to drop the ridiculously extended T20 Blast altogether and in doing so create the space in an already over-crowded fixture list with the inclusion of the proposed city based tournament which, as I see it any way, has been inevitable for a few years now.  Or, as an alternative, drop the 50-over competition and use the space for the second T20 competition.

But please, ECB, don't strip yet more from the 4-day programme which is the only format worth a candle.
By gmdf
According to Lizzie Armon in The Times (behind a paywall, but you can see 2 articles for free if you register):
The England and Wales Cricket Board is facing a revolt from some counties that do not stage Test matches over its plans to push through a significant change to its articles and constitution.

Executives from the category B and C counties — those that do not host Test matches — are meeting on March 20 to discuss their concerns about the change and the implications of the proposed eight-team city-based Twenty20 competition before the ECB’s planned vote a week later.

At least six of the non-Test match counties have become increasingly concerned that they are being asked to vote to change the existing constitution, removing their power of veto and, for the first time, allowing the ECB to introduce tournaments that don’t include all 18 first-class counties.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c68d0 ... f14792998a

Could this be the start of the counter-revolution?
By davee
[quote="judge9847"]

The really worrying part of the article is the first part of the second paragraph:  "While the ECB has previously guaranteed counties a minimum payment of £1.3m a year, they have now warned that only those counties which have signed their media rights over to the ECB will be eligible for such a fee.

It's the bit that I've put in bold that worries me.  Media rights is a huge, valuable and growing business which will get bigger - and therefore more valuable - as the use of high speed broadband grows.  Any County is capable of delivering, by streaming, every match they participate in, no matter the format, if that's what they want to do.  Sign that over to a third party and there's real trouble ahead.  It would be like Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and the rest signing their rights over to the Football Association or FIFA or any other body that doesn't have a clue how to handle them.

It would be a serious, serious step to take and if done, it would signal a major fracture in the game as it's played here in England.  A fracture that could never be repaired I suspect.

[/quote]

Lancashire and probably others, if not most record every ball bowled for analysis / coaching & highlights for the website, it would not be a giant step to make to make this footage live and available world wide if the bookies in the far flung corners of the world wanted.
By chris
[quote="davee"]
[quote="judge9847"]

[/quote]

Lancashire and probably others, if not most record every ball bowled for analysis / coaching & highlights for the website, it would not be a giant step to make to make this footage live and available world wide if the bookies in the far flung corners of the world wanted.
[/quote]

I think all counties do such an analysis, they used to form part of the ECB round ups and daily videos.

Nottinghamshire were the only county, of which I'm aware, who actually provided live streaming.  It was possible last season to watch their silent live stream and listen to the BBC internet commentary at the same time.
By gmdf
[quote="chris"]
[quote="davee"]
[quote="judge9847"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think all counties do such an analysis, they used to form part of the ECB round ups and daily videos.

Nottinghamshire were the only county, of which I'm aware, who actually provided live streaming.  It was possible last season to watch their silent live stream and listen to the BBC internet commentary at the same time.
[/quote]

I think Glamorgan did as well.
By gmdf
gmdf wrote: I, for one, do support, the idea of cricket live on 'free to view' TV...

But I'd much rather see Test matches, T20 county games or 50 over games than this artificial nonsense.

But it would be a step forward, I guess....

https://www.ft.com/content/9220b274-0a3 ... 720a26771b

This seems to have disappeared behind a firewall (just like live cricket on TV!).

Speaking to the Financial Times, Mr Harrison said he wanted some games to be screened live on free-to-air broadcasters such as the BBC, even if that meant forsaking money from pay-TV groups such as Sky and BT, which offer a higher price for exclusivity.
'We have no ambition to be richest, most irrelevant sport in this country,' Tom Harrison confirms free to air talks
By themaclad
Been a while since I posted on here by this is my view on the T20 franchise baseball league.
As per normal the ECB can only see the £ signs, this is about making money and nothing else any relevance to cricket is purely by chance.
Saying that did see a piece in the Telegraph last week saying the tournament will lose £15 million in the first year.
This garbage has been coming for sometime along with the ECB those that ruin cricket commonly known as Sky have been pushing for this for well over two years.
A comment by Ian Ward at a Roses T20 match at Leeds in 2015 gave the game away when he said"Wouldn't this be great if it was Leefds against Manchester" well er no Ian,don't recall those two cities having teams of great cricketing tradition as neither of them are actually counties.
Along with the ECB, Sky don't actually get the point that the vast majority of cricket fans come from varying places in their county. I live about 50 miles from Manchester only go there to watch my county side, I have no connection with Manchester and supporting a Manchester based side is a non starter for me.
Would people from Liverpool support a side called Manchester? answer is no, Lancashire have a lot of Merseyside members who would immediately be alienated, same for a lot of people over the border in Yorkshire.
They aim to run the thing late July and August which would clash with the start of the football season, no guarentee of free to air TV would any terestrial station give up time for T20 games answer is probably no although
ITV4 may do.
They want to run the fifty over competetion at the ame time as this which means all counties playing vastly under strength sides although possibly more games on outgrounds.
We will have two T20 competitions which will lead to overkill and you can guess which won the ECB will favour and worst of all we now have a County Championship down to 14 games which leads to a lottery in Division 2 with all sides not playing each other.
Finally if we get a dire summer what happens? Finally it is good to know that the ECB will be running all ticketing as I said earlier this is not about cricket but money and no Franchise will be getting mine.
By Ian
[quote="themaclad"]
Been a while since I posted on here by this is my view on the T20 franchise baseball league.
As per normal the ECB can only see the £ signs, this is about making money and nothing else any relevance to cricket is purely by chance.
Saying that did see a piece in the Telegraph last week saying the tournament will lose £15 million in the first year.
This garbage has been coming for sometime along with the ECB those that ruin cricket commonly known as Sky have been pushing for this for well over two years.
A comment by Ian Ward at a Roses T20 match at Leeds in 2015 gave the game away when he said"Wouldn't this be great if it was Leefds against Manchester" well er no Ian,don't recall those two cities having teams of great cricketing tradition as neither of them are actually counties.
Along with the ECB, Sky don't actually get the point that the vast majority of cricket fans come from varying places in their county. I live about 50 miles from Manchester only go there to watch my county side, I have no connection with Manchester and supporting a Manchester based side is a non starter for me.
Would people from Liverpool support a side called Manchester? answer is no, Lancashire have a lot of Merseyside members who would immediately be alienated, same for a lot of people over the border in Yorkshire.
They aim to run the thing late July and August which would clash with the start of the football season, no guarentee of free to air TV would any terestrial station give up time for T20 games answer is probably no although
ITV4 may do.
They want to run the fifty over competetion at the ame time as this which means all counties playing vastly under strength sides although possibly more games on outgrounds.
We will have two T20 competitions which will lead to overkill and you can guess which won the ECB will favour and worst of all we now have a County Championship down to 14 games which leads to a lottery in Division 2 with all sides not playing each other.
Finally if we get a dire summer what happens? Finally it is good to know that the ECB will be running all ticketing as I said earlier this is not about cricket but money and no Franchise will be getting mine.
[/quote]

Nor mine

Well said my friend
By Umpire
Doesn't the money go back to the counties? That is what the ECB has said. Something like £24 milliion to be divided equally between the eighteen stakeholders.
Jayawardene

signs for Lancashire (T20 blast) available for the[…]

v Leics 2 (floodlit)

Good to see Duckett back in gear in such attacking[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Day night pink ball cc cricket...the first floodli[…]