Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By Alex
They've said they are guaranteed £1.3m each until the profit turns a tournament (if it ever does) and then it will increase as the profit is shared out.
By Umpire
[quote="Alex"]
They've said they are guaranteed £1.3m each until the profit turns a tournament (if it ever does) and then it will increase as the profit is shared out.
[/quote]

So surely it is self-defeating for traditional county cricket supporters to say 'no franchise is getting any of my money' ?
By gmdf
[quote="Umpire"]
[quote="Alex"]
[/quote]

So surely it is self-defeating for traditional county cricket supporters to say 'no franchise is getting any of my money' ?
[/quote]

I'm pretty certain the 'small print' will say that if no profit is turned after a specific period, then the cash to counties will dry up.  ;)
By Umpire
Perhaps I misunderstood but I read somewhere that the ECB has guaranteed the money for five years, so if it is £1,300,000 per season that is a £6.5 million cash injection for each county between 2020 and 2024?
By gmdf
A very good analysis here:

https://beingoutsidecricket.com/2017/03 ... ly-jewels/

It ends:
Perhaps a more sensible suggestion would be to take that £15million and properly market the Blast, reduce some of the ticket prices to make them family attractive and use some of that money to take some of the games off Sky and onto an FTA platform. Sure the Blast could do with a bit of a revamp, as with any product that is 15 years old (2 or 3 divisions perhaps as a starter for 10), but it simply shouldn’t be ignored that it is only part of English cricket that isn’t in decline.

Surely it’s better that than recklessly gambling the future of county cricket on a hunch? Unfortunately logic has famously never been something that influences the corridors of power at the ECB. All in on red please.
By Umpire
I  think the ECB expects the county cricket clubs to use some of the £.6.5 million they will be  each be given to market themselves to their local audiences in Leicester and Derby and Bristol and Canterbury or whatever ground it happens to be. That will be more effective than the ECB spending £15 million on a national marketing campaign. The counties cannot expect the ECB to do everything for them?  I have just read an article saying that the new tournament will be agreed by the counties next week so can the debate then be about how everyone pulls together and helps to make it work rather than people complaining that it is bound to fail?
By gmdf
[quote="Umpire"]
I  think the ECB expects the county cricket clubs to use some of the £.6.5 million they will be  each be given to market themselves to their local audiences in Leicester and Derby and Bristol and Canterbury or whatever ground it happens to be. That will be more effective than the ECB spending £15 million on a national marketing campaign. The counties cannot expect the ECB to do everything for them?  I have just read an article saying that the new tournament will be agreed by the counties next week so can the debate then be about how everyone pulls together and helps to make it work rather than people complaining that it is bound to fail?
[/quote]

To be honest I have no interest in a totally artificial competition which will weaken the standard of cricket I'll be able to watch for a key period during the season.

I regard Harrison's influence on the ECB as malignant, I won't be watching the new competition, and therefore won't be 'pulling together' to help it - whatever that might mean in practice.
By Umpire
Crikes.  I don't know Tom Harrison personally but from what  I have read and been told he is rated as a highflier and a cut above the calibre of most cricket administrators. Someone at my club described him as a great deal-maker. But they said that about the Donald, didn't they? What  has he done to be malignant? Tom Harrison not President Trump.
By LankyShark
Question. 

Will the Counties who host the City teams lose out?

If, for example, people go to watch Manchester will they watch less of Lancashire ?  Surely some will, whether it be due to financial or time considerations. 

Whilst those who attend counties without city teams will continue to attend their county. And they will get 1/18 of new tournament money too. 
By davee
[quote="Umpire"]
[/quote]

So Derbyshire will be expected to market  the Nottingham, Leeds & Manchester matches?

That's going to work!
By Umpire
They should use the windfall from the ECB to market their own T20 Blast games more effectively than they have done in the past. I think that is the idea? When I went to a T20 game at Derby there were fewer than two thousand people there and I went to one at Grace Road when the ground was also empty.
Last edited by Umpire on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gmdf
Vic Marks hits a few nails squarely on their heads:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... a-counties

With or without free access on TV, it still requires a leap of faith to expect that English fans will flock so readily to Old Trafford or the Ageas Bowl as they do to the MCG or the Adelaide Oval. Moreover, unlike in Australia, there is the possibility of alienating the existing supporter of T20 cricket. Anecdotally there seems to be little chance that anyone living in Taunton is going to beetle up the motorway to Bristol to watch the new competition; but they would be there in numbers if Somerset were playing Gloucestershire. Likewise, Lancastrians are unlikely to cross the Pennines to watch a game at Headingley – if the ground is fit to be a host for the competition.
By LankyShark
I go to watch T20 with my son. (He comes to watch CC with me).

If he wants to carry on watching Lancashire, our team then we will do that. If he wants to go to watch all the "Superstars" playing for and against Manchester then we will do that. 

There is absolutely NO WAY I am watching two T20 tournaments.
By Alex
I fear that with the ECB's focus on the new competition, the sponsors will want to advertise with the premier competition and indivdual counties might lose revenue as a result.
By Iron Mike
Like many I'd rather watch my county anywhere than whatever my so called local franchise will be playing.

Perhaps there would be a double header with Glam v Middlesex as a precursor to Cardiff v London at the Gardens, likewise Hampshire v Essex preceding Southampton v Birmingham at the Rose Bowl...to get county followers into grounds. We'll see but I doubt it as tv will want a standalone event. 

That's fine but cricket isn't the prevalent national sport with free to air live coverage for people who can get to and from grounds from far and wide on public transport for night matches. Add our much smaller population centres in comparison with Australia and India plus the vagaries of the weather...
Opening batsman

Giving the small pool of available players and Gla[…]

Simon Kerrigan

I see he has just resigned for Fulwood and Brought[…]

Lancashire Action Group - an update

Hi there, We were formed 3 1/2 years ago as a sup[…]

Ashes Matching Fixing

Looks like the Aussies might have been up to no go[…]