Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By chris
Squads of 15 inc 3 overseas mean (8*12) 96 domestic inc kolpak players and 24 overseas players.

So across the 18 counties it means that on average 5-6 contracted players will not be available to counties during these 38 days of summer, where the RL50 at least will be run concurrently and possibly, unstated yet, a championship match or two.  Test matches will also be scheduled, so England players will not be included in the bidding process for the city based sides.  It is also probable that a fair proportion of the 18-36 contracted overseas players will be drafted by the city franchise set ups.

The larger county squads of 23-24 may well be able to cope with 5-6 of their best white ball players unavailable, plus their overseas player, plus any centrally contracted players.  Maybe have 15-16 contracted players to choose from (less those with injuries).

It will be interesting to see how the smaller counties with squads of around 20 contracted players fair in the county games in this period.  For instance, assuming that Northamptonshire continue as a succesful one day side in 2020 and beyond, how many players would they lose from their squad?  Would they be able to continue to focus on white-ball cricket, given than their squad could be severly weakened for one of the two county white ball competitions.

How would the current Kent, Glamorgan or Northamptonshire squads manage?

The current Lancs side would probably be without Anderson, Hameed, Parry, Croft, Livingstone, McLaren, Junaid, Buttler, Brown maybe Davies, Clark, Lilley, Vilas leaving 11 fully contracted players.
Last edited by chris on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Alex
Considering the ECB's focus on 50 over cricket to then significantly weaken the RL50 seems a bit counter productive, but I guess it will force counties to maybe blood younger players, wonder if it will turn into footballs equivalent of the EFL Cup?
By chris
[quote="Alex"]
Considering the ECB's focus on 50 over cricket to then significantly weaken the RL50 seems a bit counter productive, but I guess it will force counties to maybe blood younger players, wonder if it will turn into footballs equivalent of the EFL Cup?
[/quote]

It already is the least favourite.  If the City based franchise was happening this year Lancs' selection might be something like:
Procter
Jones
Chanderpaul
Bohannon
Clark
Lamb
Bailey
Jarvis
Kerrigan
Parkinson
12th Man: Lester
as I suspect Hameed, Anderson would be with England.  Buttler, Livingstone, Croft, Parry, Vilas, McLaren, Brown, Lilley and probably Mahmood and Davies would be with City Franchises squads - not all necessarily at a Manchester based team.  Maybe also Lamb, Jarvis or Clark as well depends how many "locals" a Manchester based franchise would want to maximise local interest in their marketing.
By gmdf
Here's an interesting (& troubling) analysis of the proposed City T20:

https://bladepicker.wordpress.com/2017/ ... ise-blind/

Here's a taste of his argument:
So, a nice idea in principle, but I think it is unworkable and ultimately smacks of self-interested people blinded by cash, making decisions based on hope and wild assumptions. This is such a shame as, given more forward thought and less short termism when it comes to planning, marketing and exposure, county cricket has great potential. T20 blast ticket season ticket sales are already up 35% on last season and ticket sales have risen 64% in the last 4 years; the three way fight for the County Championship had county cricket trending on twitter; Lords and Headingly saw 5 figure crowds for a single day’s play and Scarborough, Cheltenham and Chesterfield Festivals saw Sold Out signs on the gates, as did the majority of the Northants, Essex and Somerset t20 games. Unfortunately, none of these teams or out ground supporters will be represented in an 8 team franchise.

There is a lot of appetite out there for the county game and to tap into that by, say, allowing half of the current televised T20 blast matches to be on free to air terrestrial TV could really build up a buzz around an already existing growing market and really secure the long term future of the game as our national summer sport.

Unfortunately, unloved City teams, featuring mercenary players playing at half empty test grounds in freezing conditions does not a spectacle make – and I really think the ‘City Franchise’ plan is doomed before it has begun.
By Umpire
[quote="gmdf"]
Here's an interesting (& troubling) analysis of the proposed City T20:

https://bladepicker.wordpress.com/2017/ ... ise-blind/

Here's a taste of his argument:

mercenary players playing at half empty test grounds in freezing conditions does not a spectacle make – and I really think the ‘City Franchise’ plan is doomed before it has begun. [/quote]

If we are going to have freezing conditions in July and August then the whole world is doomed, not just cricket.
By gmdf
Some good points made in this blog by James Morgan:

https://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cri ... -t20-plan/

I especially liked this part:
I also wonder why an entirely new competition, with players representing teams they have no natural affiliation to, would be appealing to the public? There will be no local heroes in the ECB’s new competition – just players looking for a convenient pay day.

What’s more, I don’t see why a new competition with eight new franchises would be any more appealing than, for example, a premier division of the nine best counties with a few overseas stars.

If the ECB really want to plug T20 to the masses why not just market the Blast more aggressively? I don’t see the advantages of starting afresh with new city-based entities.

Besides, if the ECB’s target audience isn’t currently interested in cricket, they won’t care whether a team is new or not. After all, everything is new to the uninitiated.

I also have huge doubts concerning the ECB’s plan to aggressively market this new competition to kids aged 5-7 (and their Mums). I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: my six year old boy loves sports, and he likes nothing more than kicking a ball around or hitting one with a tennis racquet, but he won’t sit still for half an hour let alone three hours.

If Tom Harrison thinks that six years olds are going to sit politely and watch 40 overs of live cricket (let alone their disinterested Mums), he’s got another thing coming.

It seems to me that the whole city-based T20 is an ill-conceived plan that’s trying to replicate the IPL and Big Bash without taking into the account the idiosyncrasies of the UK.

English cricket fans are not the same as Indian fans. Our loyalties to our counties are stronger than Indian supporters’ loyalty to their zonal teams. And we don’t have a predominantly city-based population like the Australians do.

The bottom line is this: the success of any city-based T20 tournament in the UK is very uncertain and the risks are undeniably great. Therefore it doesn’t seem like a ‘percentage’ shot to proceed. It’s too much of a gamble.
By Umpire
I was told last night that the ECB will announce the result of the vote next week. My informant sounded confident that it is "in the bag" with two votes against and one or possibly two abstentions. Let us all hope it works and do everything we can to ensure that it does. None of us can afford for this to fail
By chris
not sure how we can do anything other than hope.

It will no doubt be deemed a success and no doubt survive through the first TV contract. But thereafter it will depend on the renewal of the TV contract(s) by which time the cricket landscape may well be completely different.

Given the near annual changes to cricket calendar over the last decade plus as counties and the ECB tried to improve the current T20 tournament, I imagine what wins out in the end will be totally different to how it starts.
Somerset v Glamorgan t20 13 Jul

Match 13 of 14 is our final away game and a trip t[…]

Don Shepherd

The great man is 90 years old today, and here is a[…]

Jim Allenby

I came across this interesting article yesterday .[…]

I know I must do better

Received a few remarks on Sunday about not being a[…]