Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By Iron Mike
GlammyRay wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm
Just thinking but given the new Franchise T20 in 2020 could the counties not look at having a better balance of cricket ie 16 first class matches, a better 50 over competition, and say a 10 match T20 county competition?

Perhaps it is worth a debate!!!!!!
Hi Ray...definitely worth a debate.

From my viewpoint all changes to the county structure seem centred around the franchise and it being not allowed to fail. This could see the start of the counties being merged eventually for all formats in time. Then play it all in a condensed summer like some club cricket...eg end April to end August.

A closed shop of scrapping relegation would be awful, as would applying to be one of the so-called elite for a finite initial time...eg 1, 2 or 3 years. It might not come to pass if a Yorkshire come down and be marooned in the lower cc tier.

16 cc matches would be fairer or revert to one division with fixtures alternated. Win that and you're true champions. The ODC should be better, agreed. Domestic t20 would need to revert to 3 groups of 6 with 5 matches then standalone semis and played in 3 weeks as precursor to the franchise. The domestic final on same day as franchise opener in same venue. As if handing over the baton.

This would then create window for ODC to run alongside cc in a league of one or divisions the same as cc. Or have a 3 team group then knockout ODC with some Minor Counties instead, thus replicating the World Cup. Each fc county then guaranteed a home match.

With so many blank weekends where there is no fc cricket no reason why the county game can't continue meaningfully when the franchise is on by continuing with cc fixtures.
By chris
GlammyRay wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 pm
Just thinking but given the new Franchise T20 in 2020 could the counties not look at having a better balance of cricket ie 16 first class matches, a better 50 over competition, and say a 10 match T20 county competition?

Perhaps it is worth a debate!!!!!!
Can't see it leading to a better balance of cricket at all.

Counties will want all their "better" players - those involved in the franchise league to be available for the County Championship. This will be agreed as proof that the new competition should not be allowed to dimish the four day game.

So all that will happen is that for a lot of counties the 50 over tourmnament will look like squad practice / 2nd XI games (on and off the pitch) as the franchise will overlap and largely kill this off as a domestic competition.
By davee
At Old Trafford a lot of members are holding off renewing for next season due to the rumours of 3 x 6 team divisions with 5 CC in April and 5 in Sept.
At a recent match a comment was overheard in relation to the attendance being good, ' but hardly anyone has paid to come in.' This is how the members are viewed there, an inconvenience who they would be better without, not as a 'valued upfront revenue stream'.
By LankyShark
Does anyone know when the fixtures are published for next season?

I am considering two options of membership and it would be helpful to know how many CC games I can realistically get to before committing.
By davee
LankyShark wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 pm
Ok. Thanks.

If looks like I might miss the early bird deadline again.
That's the idea, they want your money, once you see how unattractive the schedule is you may decide to not renew, several people I know are of that mind.
By LankyShark
My son is a Junior Member and an important part of his day/ evening is to go into the Pavilion for food.

So I will be joining for next season, but at which level will depend on the fixture list.

if I see this recent promise that cricket will now become first priority is kept then in future I may be prepared to pay a bit more, but at the moment I will go for the absolute least expensive option. And of course, by cricket, they have to mean Lancashire Cricket, not International Cricket.
By davee
davee wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 pm
LankyShark wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 pm
Ok. Thanks.

If looks like I might miss the early bird deadline again.
That's the idea, they want your money, once you see how unattractive the schedule is you may decide to not renew, several people I know are of that mind.
Having shivered through April 3 home matches gone and another due later this week meaning by Mayday Bank Holiday we are over half way through the season I have heard that a few members are saying never again they will get the '11 Day Membership' deal.
World's Gone Mad

Never mind Brexit what about Flog It!. Cancelle[…]

The cull begins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45491721 One […]

Wagg awarded testimonial

Well deserved I'd say. http://www.glamorgancricke[…]