Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By gmdf
Too little, too late - a whole generation has been lost and cricket as a whole will suffer for decades to come as a result. It's only T20 cricket live - and most of that pretty meaningless games between ersatz, made up teams.

Test matches, esp. the Ashes Tests, would have been much better - after all they are, like Wimbledon, the Olympics & the FA Cup Final, really the 'crown jewels'.
By TWrex
Apart from the obvious disappointment of nothing over 20 overs a side live on the BBC, County cricket doesn't get a look in. Surely a sprinkling of the county 20/20 would not have been too difficult to fit in. Or were the ECB worried it might prove too popular & take the shine over the new postcode competition. At least one 1 day international would have been nice & a few test match sessions wouldn't hurt. I enjoy 20/20, although not bothered enough to actually go to one, but the 50 overs & first class games are my preference.
gmdf liked this
By Iron Mike
Sadly it won't happen again but it would be great if BBC got some modicum of county cricket. The old BBC 3 should be their sport channel and BBC 4 doesn't start until 7pm...used for other events before that time like tennis or Olympics. Inclination?

Fanchise t20 isn't county cricket . The county game is at a critical point with this venture at the vagaries of the weather that can't be seen to fail. 18 into 8 won't go for all formats.
mav liked this
By GlammyRay
I can't help feeling that we lost something with the loss of the old Sunday 40 over league format when BBC2 every Sunday showed a match!

Also the old Gillette knock out cup was good viewing as well.

The crowds were always good and T20 changed that. It is exciting I would admit that and it is a good way to introduce people to the game.

As for Test matches they were always good on the BBC and Channel 4 and it was a shame they didn't let at least one test a Summer be shown live on free to air.

Yet I am noticing that there is a bit more interest in county cricket with people turning up now which is not a bad thing.

If franchise cricket is exposed perhaps the counties can be more proactive in trying to introduce the game and making offers to get people in especially the kids!!!!!

I do think though by playing less 4 day cricket now it will have a detrimental effect to our national team in a few years to come!!!!!
otis liked this
By LankyShark
GlammyRay wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 pm
I do think though by playing less 4 day cricket now it will have a detrimental effect to our national team in a few years to come!!!!!

I am sure you are right except for one thing. You are assuming that the National team is still going to be playing Test Matches.

England (and Wales) may still get full grounds but who else does? Does anyone else still want to play Test Cricket?

And of course many of those attending home tests would be just as happy (if not more so) attending ODI and T20, as long as the beer still tastes the same.
By gmdf
LankyShark wrote:
GlammyRay wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 pm

I am sure you are right except for one thing. You are assuming that the National team is still going to be playing Test Matches.

England (and Wales) may still get full grounds but who else does? Does anyone else still want to play Test Cricket?

And of course many of those attending home tests would be just as happy (if not more so) attending ODI and T20, as long as the beer still tastes the same.
I'm really not sure that many of the typical spectators at Test cricket would also go to T20 internationals, to be honest.
By LankyShark
Many wouldn't. But most would go to ODIs.

And do the ECB really care? If they did then they wouldn't be not only reducing the number of CC matches but also putting them in April and September when not only is the weather likely to be worse but children are at school.

I really think that they regard the FC cricket watcher as a dinosaur who can be fleeced at the moment but, with their help, is on his way out.

If we had been to every possible day of CC cricket at OT this year, my son would have been able to go to just 8 days throughout the entire season, including the last 4 before he goes back to school and 2 in April when we would most likely have got pneumonia sitting around outside for 2 days.
Does the ECB care if he is interested in FC cricket?
By gmdf
LankyShark wrote:Many wouldn't. But most would go to ODIs.

And do the ECB really care? If they did then they wouldn't be not only reducing the number of CC matches but also putting them in April and September when not only is the weather likely to be worse but children are at school.

I really think that they regard the FC cricket watcher as a dinosaur who can be fleeced at the moment but, with their help, is on his way out.

If we had been to every possible day of CC cricket at OT this year, my son would have been able to go to just 8 days throughout the entire season, including the last 4 before he goes back to school and 2 in April when we would most likely have got pneumonia sitting around outside for 2 days.
Does the ECB care if he is interested in FC cricket?
I suspect they'll be changing their views pretty quickly when the T20 'boom' fades, franchise cricket doesn't take off, and, especially, when we start losing Test series...
By LankyShark
I fear that to the extent that you are right it could well be too late.

I am 50 years old but when we go to CC matches I look young and my son looks as though he is in completely the wrong place. (Not that he looks as though he is unhappy to be there, just that he is the pretty much the only one younger than the players).

There are lots of bored football fans in the summer. Don't underestimate their desire to watch competitive sport or overestimate their commitment to a county. The Local Government county of Lancashire is more than 20 miles away from Old Trafford in any direction. You can be in Cheshire in 5 minutes.

Together with the increase in empty seats at FC, including tests around the world I think cricket has changed and it may not come back for a while if ever.
By mav
Look at the Amount the Ashes makes the ECB - they care a great deal about the series.

They must live in hope of a repeat of 2005 - that will never come from limited overs cricket.
2nd XI

Personally I think it is very disappointing that t[…]

Another 'ton' for Compo

D.C.S.Compton, Dennis to his adoring fans', Compo […]

Royal London One Day Cup

Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new compe[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]