Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By PaulTavs
Hi everyone,

As I mentioned I have arrived here from cricket247. On the cricket247 board I posted this for many years, so here goes:

The 2017 fixtures were released on November 25+
The 2016 fixtures were released on December 2*
The 2015 fixtures were released on November 28
The 2014 fixtures were released on November 26
The 2013 fixtures were released on November 26
The 2012 fixtures were released on November 29
The 2011 fixtures were released on December 14
The 2010 fixtures were released on November 19
The 2009 fixtures were released on December 18
The 2008 fixtures were released on November 14
The 2007 fixtures were released on November 16
The 2006 fixtures were released on November 10
The 2005 fixtures were released on November 12
The 2004 fixtures were released on December 3
The 2003 fixtures were released on November 14
The 2002 fixtures were released on November 21
The 2001 fixtures were released on November 2
The 2000 fixtures were released on November 18

*The first matches in each competition were announced on December 1.
+The T20 Blast fixtures were released on November 24.

Obviously if anyone gets the word on when they will be published this year, please post on here!
By gmdf
chris wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:42 pm
Hi paul,

d'you know what's happened to the Kim Jones / Cricket 24/7 site? It's been down before but bounced back.

Far fewer arguments on here!

I emailed them, but have had no reply...
Alex wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm
Would be nice if we could grow the user base of the forum, anyone have any suggestions?

How did you come across the forum @PaulTavs
It would indeed. I can't remember how I originally found the forum, but probably through searching on Google for some county cricket info.

From what I saw at 247, and seems to be the case here as well, one key is getting conversations going about the different counties. If it becomes the place to discuss a county, it has a very positive effect. On the other hand, if there is only one or even no people discussing a county, that section remains dormant. That has been my experience - there's not much use posting something about, say, Middlesex, if you then just get no response.

For some reason, there doesn't seem to be the large mass of people discussing county cricket as you get on football boards, where even a non-league club may see several threads active during just one day.

Maybe one thing that can help is to try and stimulate general discussions about English/county cricket, as this could, maybe, draw people in.

I guess the ultimate way is advertising, but it costs money.
Anyway, when are the fixtures out?

For most of the first decade of the 2000s, they would have been out this week.

But recently they have settled into a date around the last week of November or the very beginning of December. In mitigation of that, of course the previous season now finishes later - right at the end of September.

Usually if England are on tour the ECB tends to avoid publishing them to clash with when England have a Test match on - which would suggest, if they are ready, they might come out in the week between the first and second Test.

In recent years the policy has been that the ECB and counties say nothing until just a few days before their publication.

I haven't seen any tour matches for 2018 announced yet - last year they announced these long before the full fixture list.
Whilst waiting, here's my wishlist. (I'm a Notts follower by the way)

Essex - never been but not really bothered.
Lancs - Saw a quarter of a game at Blackpool before it rained. It would be nice to have an outground. I've read so much negative press, can't get interested in OT.
Surrey. Been to the Oval a few times. Always a pleasure if at a convenient time.
Yorkshire. Scarborough would be nice. For one reason or another, I've never been there. Been to Headingley a few times for tests/ODI but not recently.
Hampshire. Never been. Would be nice if I could combine it with a family weekend away.
Somerset. Been once, I'd love the chance to go again.
Worcester. Always a pleasure but less and less so as time goes on as they seem determined to ruin the ground.
gmdf wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:41 am
Kent have Tweeted this morning that they will be available "hopefully the last week of November".
Thanks for that.

That looks promising then. After the Test finishes, in the latter half of that week maybe, then.
Thanks to gmdf for the tip from Kent.

I'm afraid this annual ritual whereby the ECB refuse to say in advance when the county fixture list is likely to be released typifies the ECB's haughty and contemptuous attitude towards those who would like to support the county championship.

Some of us need to know when the fixtures will be announced so that we can arrange to quickly book accommodation. This certainly applies to county championship matches played in the seaside resort of Scarborough during the height of summer.

This prompts me to reply to Arachibutyrophobic, who supports Notts. I urge him to spend 4 days at Scarborough which is one of the most wonderful grounds in the world for its atmosphere and friendliness. Ideally, he should get access to the historic and very welcoming pavilion - which is open to county members from visiting teams. However, it would also be worth splashing out on becoming a country member of the Scarborough Cricket Club, just to enjoy 4 days of cricket perfection.

By contrast, I would not recommend Hampshire. Accommodation in the area can be very expensive and the ground itself is too dominated by the hotel to seem like a proper cricket ground. Refreshments are served, with no view of the cricket, in a large atrium which has all the charm of an airport departure lounge.

By gaining promotion, Notts have deprived themselves of fixtures at lovely Hove and Chesterfield; and I have found that even humble Northampton and Leicester give a good welcome to their customers.

However, Worcester (especially) and Taunton are worthy venues.
johnsantaclaws wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:13 pm
Thanks to gmdf for the tip from Kent.

I'm afraid this annual ritual whereby the ECB refuse to say in advance when the county fixture list is likely to be released typifies the ECB's haughty and contemptuous attitude towards those who would like to support the county championship.

Some of us need to know when the fixtures will be announced so that we can arrange to quickly book accommodation. This certainly applies to county championship matches played in the seaside resort of Scarborough during the height of summer.

This prompts me to reply to Arachibutyrophobic, who supports Notts. I urge him to spend 4 days at Scarborough which is one of the most wonderful grounds in the world for its atmosphere and friendliness. Ideally, he should get access to the historic and very welcoming pavilion - which is open to county members from visiting teams. However, it would also be worth splashing out on becoming a country member of the Scarborough Cricket Club, just to enjoy 4 days of cricket perfection.

By contrast, I would not recommend Hampshire. Accommodation in the area can be very expensive and the ground itself is too dominated by the hotel to seem like a proper cricket ground. Refreshments are served, with no view of the cricket, in a large atrium which has all the charm of an airport departure lounge.

By gaining promotion, Notts have deprived themselves of fixtures at lovely Hove and Chesterfield; and I have found that even humble Northampton and Leicester give a good welcome to their customers.

However, Worcester (especially) and Taunton are worthy venues.
Hove is top of my wish list but it's not been possible in recent years - a few times it has been at the same time as the Trent Bridge Test and this year was midweek in September. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. We got a trip to Chesterfield a few years ago and it is a lovely ground but we only got it as the 'proper' Chesterfield fixture was washed out. Looking at the geography of Nottingham, Derby and Chesterfield, we are not likely to go there any time soon. Derby, on the other hand, is a tip.

I agree about Grace and Wantage Roads, really nice, welcoming grounds.

APL 2018 inaugural edition is starting from 5th Oc[…]

Who deserves to stay at Glamorgan and why? Morris?[…]