Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
Arachibutyrophobic wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am
Whilst waiting, here's my wishlist. (I'm a Notts follower by the way)

Essex - never been but not really bothered.
Get yourself to Chelmsford next year and I'll save you a seat in The Pearce Stand. Possibly the same seat which afforded me an outstanding view of Notts chasing down 371 last June !
Although I am a Yorkshireman (albeit living in Oxford) I enjoy visiting Hove to watch other teams play Sussex. However, in 2017 there wasn't a suitable county championship fixture.
I strongly recommend paying an extra £5 to be allowed access to the pavilion at Hove. It is a very friendly place which does lovely informal food for breakfast, lunch and tea; and has a handy bar.
I won't return to Arundel until they get some life in the pitch. I like looking at trees, but when watching the leaves grow is more interesting than watching batsmen grind out huge totals, one knows something is wrong.
If the weather is nice, I would recommend a day-trip to Chesterfield to watch any team playing. I have invested in a hugely comfortable, but light-weight, camping chair. I set it up under the shade of a tree on the grassy bank in close proximity to (1) the bar; (2) the gents; and (3) the ice cream van.
Summer of '77 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am
Whilst waiting, here's my wishlist. (I'm a Notts follower by the way)

Essex - never been but not really bothered.
Get yourself to Chelmsford next year and I'll save you a seat in The Pearce Stand. Possibly the same seat which afforded me an outstanding view of Notts chasing down 371 last June !
They've named a stand at Chelmsford after Stuart Pearce? In that case it would be rude not to.
Summer of '77 liked this
johnsantaclaws wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:13 pm

I urge him to spend 4 days at Scarborough which is one of the most wonderful grounds in the world for its atmosphere and friendliness. Ideally, he should get access to the historic and very welcoming pavilion - which is open to county members from visiting teams. However, it would also be worth splashing out on becoming a country member of the Scarborough Cricket Club, just to enjoy 4 days of cricket perfection.
Seconded, though I'm biased as I grew up with the club. Yes, the pavilion is fascinating, with many photos and artefacts from both Scarborough CC and past festivals/Yorkshire matches. One of the photos is of Bill Foord, who was my childhood cricket coach.

Of course, one can visit during a Scarborough game too, or a Yorkshire 2nd XI match, which seem to have returned to the ground on a regular basis. The club still make a decent effort for such games, with scorecard and the bar open. You can peacefully roam the ground, take a seat and it could almost be 40 years ago.
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am
They've named a stand at Chelmsford after Stuart Pearce? In that case it would be rude not to.
Ha ha.

Well, Psycho is now employed just down the road at West Ham, many of whose supporters are regulars at Chelmsford.

The Pearce Stand is actually named after Thomas Neill Pearce, a 'Mr Essex Cricket' before the days of Insole, Bailey, Fletcher, etc. Pearce played as a batsman before and after WW2 and went on to serve in numerous positions for the club. Also - chiming nicely with the other current topic on this thread - he regularly selected guest teams to play at The Scarborough Festival. I'm pretty certain that PaulTavs will have been at the TN Pearce's XI v West Indies game in 1976.

One final note on the Pearce Stand - for sun worshippers, it provides possibly the best vantage point on the circuit, with the sun moving from the left of the vista at 11am to the right by 6pm.
Summer of '77 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Also - chiming nicely with the other current topic on this thread - he regularly selected guest teams to play at The Scarborough Festival. I'm pretty certain that PaulTavs will have been at the TN Pearce's XI v West Indies game in 1976.
Yes, I was. It was one of the few times that the West Indies were defeated on the tour, though they certainly played with a full festival approach. The TN Pearce's XI included Scotland wicket-keeper Hamish More, who I spotted and approached for his autograph when he was watching an earlier match with, I assume, his wife. He said "You don't want my autograph... who do I play for?" To which I swiftly replied "Scotland!" and he smiled and obliged.

How I was so certain he was who he was I simply can't remember.
johnsantaclaws wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 pm
"How I was so certain he was who he was I simply can't remember."

Tricky one.

Was he, perhaps, the only person in the ground wearing wicket-keeping pads and a kilt?
Ha ha, but no, this was some days before that Festival game. He was there as a spectator, so definitely not padded up!
The Cricket Paper says the T20 fixtures will be released a 5pm on Tuesday 28th and the County Championship and Royal London Cup fixtures at 11am on Wednesdays 29th.

Presumably the latter means everything else as well, including any tour matches.
The cull begins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45491721 One […]

Wagg awarded testimonial

Well deserved I'd say. http://www.glamorgancricke[…]