A forum for Kent CCC fans
By gmdf
A disappointing start. The awful weather of the last few weeks (months, I suppose) led to a wet pitch and no play on day 1. When play did start on day 2 after an early lunch, Gloucs obviously chose to bowl, and that probably determined the outcome of the match. I arrived just in time to see the first wicket fall (DB-D). 14 overs later the whole team was out for 64 (18.5 overs). Only Crawley (who is just 20 years old), who was last out, reached double figures and looked at ease.

Gloucs found batting just as difficult, and had it not been for Roderick's gritty 51 Kent would probably have got a first innings lead (Roderick's innings was worth double that on most days, I'd suggest). Henry bowled splendidly on debut, supported by Stevens, Gidman & Podmore (1 wicket, Roderick) on his debut). After Dickson's departure, Bell-Drummond went for his shots, and the score reached 75 for 1 (29 ahead). Then Higgins, on his debut, was introduced into the attack and his career best spell of 5-22 turned the game again. After DB-D only Crawley, who batted 2 hours before being last out, looked at home. 153 all out meant 108 to win, and conditions were a little easier.

Although I wasn't there for the last rites on Monday am, Henry & Stevens did at least make Gloucs work for their win. Another 75-100 runs might actually have been enough.

Thoughts - Henry looks a good overseas player (shame he's not here all season). Stevens, Stewart, Gidman & Podmore are useful support bowlers, esp at the time of year. And the fielding was good. Batting, DB-D & Carwley apart, was poor. Dickson,. Kuhn, Denly, Stevens & Gidman managed 23 runs in 10 innings between them.They'll have to do better in the next game! And Stewart broke down with the re-occurrence of a hamstring strain (joining Claydon & Treadwell on the injured list). I'd expect Thomas for Stewart to be the only change for Durham this Friday.
By TWrex
It certainly was wet around the ground, especially around the scoreboard, tv buildings (knocks Lord's Media Centre into a cocked hat) area. The ball didn't seem to be moving much, but just enough, most probably would have been easier had it whooped about.
Mr. Donald said to treat each match like a test match, unfortunately the team opted for a 2018/19 Ashes a template. Onwards to Durham at the very least it should get better :nervous: .
By gmdf
The Durham game (from reading reports etc - I wasn't there) seemed in many ways a mirror image of the Gloucs game with the side batting first undone by good bowling and some movement in the pitch. Excellent bowling by Henry, and useful knocks by Kuhn, Dickson & Bell-Drummond.

Highlights from the live feed can be seen here:

http://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/durham-v-kent-2/
By gmdf
Enjoyed 3 days at Canterbury (not the weather terribly, especially on Saturday when floodlights were required most of the day) watching Kent defeat Sussex in a game where the advantage swung back & forth with (in my opinion) Sussex has the advantage until half an hour or so before the end as Luke Wright & Ben Brown doubled the Sussex score, and took it to 152-4 (chasing 270). It took an excellent return catch by Ivan Thomas to dismiss Wright for 47, before Henry returned to take 4 wickets and blow away the tail.

As Kent have one batting point all season, to have won 3 out of 4 is remarkable. Quite frankly the only reason this has been possible is the astonishing impact Matt Henry has had leading the attack. Not unreasonable to say he has been the difference between a record of 3 wins in 4 and zero or 1.

Highlights can be seen here, by the way:

http://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-v-sussex/
well done you for sitting through the full 3 days. Seems yesterday in particular was exciting and the game could have gone either way, in fact it looked like Sussex were strolling it at one point!
By gmdf
madmickeyt wrote:well done you for sitting through the full 3 days. Seems yesterday in particular was exciting and the game could have gone either way, in fact it looked like Sussex were strolling it at one point!
Thanks. It was a good low scoring game - lots of good bowling by both sides, and a couple of excellent catches (Salt's to dismiss Rouse and Wright's caught & bowled by Thomas) and some good batting - esp. by Kuhn and Burgess (in the first innings).

Whilst Wright & Brown were together, I was convinced we would lose. ..

APL 2018 inaugural edition is starting from 5th Oc[…]

Who deserves to stay at Glamorgan and why? Morris?[…]