A forum for Kent CCC fans
By brummy41
Kent’s hopes of unveiling an overseas player to join them for the opening three months of the season have been hit by injury.

The county were hoping to announce the signing of an international fast bowler but have been hampered by the reluctance of international boards to release players on the eve of the ICC Champions Trophy, which will take place in England in June.

To make matters worse,  injuries to two shortlisted candidates have scuppered the club's plans, although Kent were in talks with another target this week.

Meanwhile, the club are hopeful that progress is being made in their bid to appoint an interim assistant coach – widely believed to be Jason Gillespie – before the start of the Championship season next month.

Kent have agreed terms on a short-term deal but the ECB are currently working on ratifying the coach’s visa and qualifications ahead of rubber-stamping the deal.

One new face at pre-season training, which began in Canterbury on Monday, was that of Joe Weatherley, a 20-year-old former England under-19s batsman who arrives from Hampshire on a year’s loan.

Head coach Matt Walker said: “It’s another fine young batter in the squad.

“I haven’t seen too much of him but he’s highly regarded by Hampshire. He’s organised, ambitious and is a good lad. He’s fitted in brilliantly.

“He has an experienced head on young shoulders and has captained England under-19s so he’s got a decent cricket brain.”

He added: “He adds to our batting unit. I know he’s a Hampshire player but I said to him he’s part of our squad and challenging for a first team place like all our players."

Walker claimed first XI places were up for grabs before the first Championship game at home to Gloucestershire on April 7, adding: “We have been a fairly settled top five for the past year but it’s not to say someone can’t force their way in.

“At the start of the year you want to have an open mind. I have no fixed idea in my head of what that first team will look like, that’s up to other people to push their claim. That’s what pre season is about.”
Last edited by brummy41 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By judge9847
[quote="brummy41"]
Meanwhile, the club are hopeful that progress is being made in their bid to appoint an interim assistant coach – widely believed to be Jason Gillespie – before the start of the Championship season next month.

Kent have agreed terms on a short-term deal but the ECB are currently working on ratifying the coach’s visa and qualifications ahead of rubber-stamping the deal.

...Matt Walker said: “It’s another fine young batter in the squad.

... I haven’t seen too much of him but he’s highly regarded by Hampshire ... "
[/quote]
Jeez, here's the BS flowing uphill already.  "The Club are hopeful ... "  Hopeful?  It's a black and white situation and words like "hopeful" clearly demonstrate there's no control over the situation.  And if it is Gillespie, what's changed between the end of last season and now that render his qualification to coach in yhe UK untenable?  Or his visa for that matter?  Can anyone tell me what the problem is?  A seriously peed off England management maybe?  Or the influence of CostCutter Graves seeing his successful coach coming back to the UK to somewhere which isn't Yorkshire?  Or the Australian management after involving him in their recent T20 series?  Or other reasons?  But what I would do is lay my proverbial (brand new, sparkling threepenny piece they call a pound nowadays) that is ain't his qualifications. 

So for me, that's BS number 1.

BS number 2 is Walker's quote about the incoming batsman that "it's ANOTHER fine young batter" speaks volumes.  Why's he at Kent?  Kent have a top 5 that at this point is settled and any injury/loss of form would be expected to come from within paid-for existing resources.  Where's the freaking bowlers that will win the matches?  Surely any cash involved would be spent in that direction?

Or, maybe there's something else going on that will disrupt the expected top 5?  Now that would make it interesting!
By gmdf
Re: point 2, I presume this is cover given that Sam Billings may well be absent for part of the season, and that it isn't impossible that Sam Northeast & Daniel B-D might get an England call up of some sort during the year. I also wonder whether Zak Crawley will be away at University for the first part of the season. And, of course, there are rumours about Fabian's future. Given these, add in an injury or two, and we do look a batsman short.

But I certainly hope to see another signing, preferably a lightening fast bowler, before the start of the CC season.
By life of riley
Most other counties have had their overseas options for the start of the season in place for a while now. Do not really understand why Kent have not had someone lined up well before this. Hopefully they will get something sorted soon as we are in desperate need of a bowler to give us a more potent attack. With the coaching set up still in limbo we do seem to be in a bit of a mess this close to the season starting.
By judge9847
Some times, all you've got to do is wait ...

How about this - as a theory - and bearing in mind the OP comment:

"Kent have agreed terms on a short-term deal but the ECB are currently working on ratifying the coach’s visa and qualifications ahead of rubber-stamping the deal ..."

ECB ... mmm ... interesting ... and do you suppose that would be the same ECB that is proposing to withhold payments from Counties who are holding out against the franchise, 8 team, city-based ECB Golden Goose Twenty20 competition.

I mean, they wouldn't be so mean, would they ... would they?  Silly me, of course they wouldn't ... would they???
By kentclerk
My understanding, if only from reading other forums, was that Adam Milne was our overseas quickie target. NZ wanted to get him match practice and were willing to let him play for us without a big signing-on fee. But it seems he is still crocked; seemingly this is a running thread through his career. Don't know who we've looked at subsequently.

As for the assistant coach... I'd presumed this was all to do with UK visa requirements and nothing to do with the ECB at all. But clearly that's not the case. The thought of the latter throwing a spanner in the works does make you feel pretty bilious, so I'm going to try and pretend this can't be the case at all...

Once again... to think there were grounds for real optimism at the end of last season - it has pretty much all gone and the season hasn't even started yet. It's sad.
By life of riley
When all the other counties have their overseas players sorted and most have had them in place for a long time it is most concerning that Kent have still not announced anything. Surely by now something should be in place. If Adam Milne was the target and that is not happening then the Club should have other options to move to ASAP. If nothing is announced regarding the overseas player of any news on the assistant coach by the AGM on the 28th I think there needs to be some questions asked to what exactly is going on.
By judge9847
As far as I am aware - and things could well have changed since the issue last crossed my doorstep - it actually is ECB that has had responsibility for Visa stuff delegated to it by UK Border (or whatever they're called nowadays) people,.  It is ECB who they deal with, not individual clubs or counties, for visa applications to bring someone into the English game where they will be earning a reward from the game, even it that reward isn't in cash money.

The process WAS ... and again, I'm stressing "was", that the Club completed the ECB paperwork (I've still got copies thought they may be out of date of course) and ECB processed it as the "delegated authority" I think is the term used.

So it's not impossible for ECB to hold the process up for any number of quite legitimate reasons, and indeed there was a broad awareness of a learning curve when that happened and a few applications had to be returned to ECB by the Border Agency.

But that was a long while ago and I don't believe that clubs and ECB haven't streamlined the whole process in the meantime so it's odd to me that Kent, by now well versed in the matter, would make an application with error(s) in it or one that wouldn't satisfy what ECB/Border Agency require.  Doesn't make sense ...
By gmdf
[quote="life of riley"]
When all the other counties have their overseas players sorted and most have had them in place for a long time it is most concerning that Kent have still not announced anything. Surely by now something should be in place. If Adam Milne was the target and that is not happening then the Club should have other options to move to ASAP. If nothing is announced regarding the overseas player of any news on the assistant coach by the AGM on the 28th I think there needs to be some questions asked to what exactly is going on.
[/quote]

I'm hoping to attend the AGM next week (can't promise!), and if I do I'll certainly ask these questions (assuming no-one else does, or they aren't raised by the Coach/Chief Executive/Chairman first, of course!)
By life of riley
I will be going to the AGM as well. Am hoping that we get to know more about the plans for the new season and will hopefully leave that meeting a bit more positive about things than I do now!
By gmdf
Yesterday whilst sharing the commentary on TMS for the 3rd 'North vs. South' match, Sam Northeast said they were still hopeful of signing an overseas player 'for the start of the season' - which I imagine refers to the Gloucestershire game on 7th April (not the warm up University game next week). Fingers crossed he's right!
By kentclerk
I see our targets are tumbling down though. Originally an overseas quickie for the season: now *possibly* one, just for T20.
Still wonder how it was Viljoen slipped through our fingers.
By gmdf
[quote="kentclerk"]
I see our targets are tumbling down though. Originally an overseas quickie for the season: now *possibly* one, just for T20.
Still wonder how it was Viljoen slipped through our fingers.
[/quote]

We were outbid by Derbyshire - we had offered him a contract but they( it was suggested at the AGM) must be 'spending their ECB money for the new T20 competition before they receive it!
By FrankB
Was not able to make the Friendly with Surrey over the last 2 days.
One or two reports suggesting we have a fast bowler on loan from another county and that we will have an overseas player. Not able to say anymore, but thought we could all speculate.
Am definitely going to be there on Friday. Come on Kent!
Jayawardene

signs for Lancashire (T20 blast) available for the[…]

v Leics 2 (floodlit)

Good to see Duckett back in gear in such attacking[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Day night pink ball cc cricket...the first floodli[…]