A forum for Kent CCC fans
By TWrex
Well we have found it the Championship & the Royal London with rather different results.
The one day game has been a bit of a disaster for both the team & me. Have seem 1 game, missed 1 through not being to face a replacement bus service & 1 through a dicky tum. I like going to the Oval but have the mother of all colds & cannot see me feeling up to a day out tomorrow. Then next Wednesday it is the good lady's birthday outing & lovely lady that she is giving her the elbow for a game of cricket would not be one of my wisest decisions. Maybe the last but certainly not the wisest. Anyway as soon as it all over (the Royal London that is) the better as far as Kent are concerned, now will the championship form return when that competition resumes next Friday?
By Suffolk Kent
With one or two exceptions this could be the worst one day team for many years. The run out between Northeast and Billings yesterday was laughable.
Now Parnell's gone it's left to Stevens and possibly Tredwell for the bowling, the others are very ordinary and Bell Drummond excepted our batting is woeful.
No concentration and some very lazy shots.
Hopefully get a new bowler in and someone please sort this batting out.
By temporary
Fully agree with you Suffolk Kent. Looks like after a couple of years of recovery in one day cricket we're going back to the bad old days of no skill and more blameworthy, no application. I hope today's side full of fringe players is a genuine attempt to give them a chance, but I suspect it's just a can't be arsed to compete attitude - even if they do well I bet the useless old guard will be back in for the T20. And if we're going to drop or rest most of the failures, why is the arch failure Northeast in the side today. Anyway I'm glad the rain is expected to prevent a result as that's given me a justification for not going.
By madmickeyt
temps, i agree with you about the weather, i am certainly not taking a day off work to trek all the way down to Canterbury for a rain-interrupted farcical dead rubber.

not having seen any of our games yet, i cant say if there is lack of skill and effort or if we have just been unlucky a few times. it is often fine margins in these one day games and we were close in a few of them.

i dont think we have done ourselves any favours by having bowlers appear and disappear rather quickly, but that seems to be the way these days, you dont get players for a full season. the management should have done more pre season but the situation with the coach left us a bit in limbo.

bearing in mind the way the table has panned out, it would have taken an awful lot for us to finish top 3 in the group this year. i dont think wholesale changes are needed, but we do need more quality/strength in the bowling attack. today's 5 (we dont seem to have a 6th at all) against essex look vulnerable to put it mildly - how many are we going to be chasing?
By gmdf
Can't agree about 'useless old guard' - Stevens, Coles, Tredwell and (to a lesser extent perhaps) Denly have been amongst our best performing players. And Northeast is certainly no 'arch failure' but, since becoming skipper, our best batsman in all formats.

As has been said, margins between success and failure have been narrow and if we had produced a more all round team performance we could have won several games this year rather than just the one.
By temporary
gmdf wrote:Can't agree about 'useless old guard' - Stevens, Coles, Tredwell and (to a lesser extent perhaps) Denly have been amongst our best performing players. And Northeast is certainly no 'arch failure' but, since becoming skipper, our best batsman in all formats.

As has been said, margins between success and failure have been narrow and if we had produced a more all round team performance we could have won several games this year rather than just the one.
Bear in mind I'm talking specifically about the RLODC. I'll give you that Stevens, Coles and Tredwell have generally been OK. But Denly hasn't, and Northeast has been complete rubbish - the few runs he has scored have been hopelessly slow. Witness today's pathetic 3 in 15 balls when he could see the D/L par disappearing into the distance.

As for your comment "a more all round team performance...could have won several games this year" that is blindingly obvious but the fact is the performances haven't been there. Basically you're just saying that if we weren't crap we would win some matches.
By gmdf
No, l'm saying that we have had several games where one or two players have been outstanding (DB-D, Stevens, Blake) and produced performances​ that could & should have been match winning if some of the other players had done just a little better on the day - more of a team performance.

As said before in some of the games the margins between success and failure were small.
Will Bragg retires.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42082869 I had a snea[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]

Unacceptable behaviour.

Stokes. Bairstow. Duckett. Just what is going on […]