A forum for Kent CCC fans
By gmdf
Probably the most eagerly awaited match of the season due to the debut of world no. 1 spinner Yasir Shah, plus the visit of Durham, a team we haven't played in the County Championship since 2008.

Kent squad: 23 Daniel Bell-Drummond, 58 Sean Dickson, 6 Joe Denly, 17 Sam Northeast, 9 Joe Weatherley, 3 Darren Stevens, 42 Will Gidman, 12 Adam Rouse, 26 Matt Coles, 8 Mitch Claydon, 86 Yasir Shah, 14 Matt Hunn.

Tredwell & Harris (recalled from his loan by Middlesex) drop out from the squad that defeated Sussex at TW some 10 days ago, Claydon (back from compassionate leave) and Shah replace them. The main question will be whether to play an extra batsman (Weatherley, as at TW) or an extra bowler (probably Hunn). My guess is Hunn will be carrying the drinks again, but it may depend on the pitch and weather.

This may well be the last time Kent will see Paul Collingwood playing at Canterbury, and he will no doubt receive a warm welcome.

Durham squad: 5 Paul Collingwood (c), 1 Keaton Jennings, 6 Stephen Cook, 14 Cameron Steel, 7 Graham Clark, 18 Michael Richardson, 17 Ryan Pringle, 23 Paul Coughlin, 90 Stuart Poynter (wk), 60 Barry McCarthy, Matthew Potts, 20 Gavin Main, 22 Chris Rushworth, 39 George Harding.
By TWrex
Pity Colly has taken so long to say his farewells, but I doubt if anyone of a Kent persuasion will begrudge him a few extra runs for a century tomorrow, what a player he has been :clap: .
Hopefully the second half of Durham's innings can be mopped up pretty sharp & Kent can make a good fist of their reply.
By gmdf
Yes, a lot of positive vibes towards Collingwood at Canterbury yesterday (scotching the opinion that the Kent crowd are routinely ungenerous to visiting players, I thought). I was also impressed with Jennings as well. Stevens (2-55 off 24 overs) was the pick of the bowlers - had a number of close decisions turned down, and Coles was unlucky with dropped catches.

Heavy rain in east Kent last night - hopefully play will be able to start on time. Today will be crucial - Durham can ensure they don't lose, Kent can tip the scales back in their favour, It's still all to play for!
By gmdf
Well, day 2 was almost a knockout blow by Durham, and Kent will have to play superbly to avoid defeat (probably in 3 days) now. After reaching his 100 in the first over of the day, Collingwood went into his shell and crawled to 120, Poynter went for 35 and at 375-8 it looked as if Kent would restrict the visitors for under 400.

But a crucial partnership of 73 in 20 overs by McCarthy and Rushworth (who scored a career best 57) took the game away from Kent. Despite Stevens' 5 wicket haul (5-78 in 35 overs, a superb effort for the 41 year old), Kent looked a tired team when leaving the field. But the wicket is playing well, and there was no good reason why Kent shouldn't match the Durham score. Or so we thought.

Within 8 overs Kent were 29-3 with the top 3 all out: Dickson and Denly to poor shots, Bell-Drummond (who started well) to a good ball, all victims for the lively McCarthy bowling from the Nackington Road end. Then Rushworth switched to that end and tore the middle order out, dismissing Weatherly, Gidman & Rouse, before MCarthy returned to remove Coles. Stevens, held back to number 8 (presumably to give him a rest after his long bowling stint) fell to Main. At 123-8 in less than 30 overs a defeat in two days wasn't impossible, but Northeast (97*) found a staunch ally in Yasir Shah who has so far batted for an hour & a half on debut to help take the total to 211-8 at the close, still 237 runs adrift. Trying to avoid the follow on will be the first aim on day 3.
By TWrex
Not the day I was hoping for, but at least the threatened showers stayed away & there was a full day's play & it was pleasant enough to merit an ice cream, so not all bad.
First sight of the new scoreboard which looks pretty impressive, hopefully the manual version above the Les Ames stand is ok for many years to come & we can enjoy the old & the new.
Also some of the hoardings down in front of the new flats giving some idea of what the ground will soon look like, which at this stage doesn't look too bad.
That's me for this match, find it a bit much these days to get to more than one day at a time, so will follow from afar fully expecting a win after an amazing turn around in our fortunes. We an all dream :sleep:
By TWrex
Might take until after tea tomorrow to knock these runs off :lol
From a distance batting hasn't seemed too difficult today, it took an almighty effort by Kent to make it look virtually impossible yesterday, so maybe SNE & co can play :-k through to earn 5 points that may be vital by season's end. :clap:
gmdf liked this
By TWrex
Mitch kept his former county out with considerable help from our new overseas batting sensation. Credit to the captain for battling it out & well done Matt Coles for sticking around & help to earn the team 5 extra valuable points. Before our t20 break we have Worcs., & Notts away followed by Northants at Beckenham, the other 3 of the top 4, I wonder what our situation will be when we resume championship cricket against Leics. at Canterbury at the end of August.
It must have been an extremely tense day's play & I hope all those who attend had an 'enjoyable' time.
By gmdf
I was there until Sam was out, and whilst I'm saying now 'never in doubt', I really didn't think Matt, Yasir & Mitch could hold out for nearly 90 minutes. Full credit to them. :clap:
By TWrex
It should also not be forgotten that we didn't give in when Durham were batting well in their first innings. Darren's last ball of the 110th over earned an extra bonus point that may well count a lot come the season's end.
By TWrex
This hard won draw looks even better now that Glos. have batted through the day to prevent a Notts. win. That keeps Notts a bit closer to ourselves & Worcs., should be an interesting match starting at New Road next Monday, then it is off to Trent Bridge for a day/night match, interesting times.
By mushroomcounter
TWrex wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:34 pm
It should also not be forgotten that we didn't give in when Durham were batting well in their first innings. Darren's last ball of the 110th over earned an extra bonus point that may well count a lot come the season's end.
The last ball of Durham's 110th over saw the fall of their 7th wicket. I thought bonus points were triggered when getting to the 3rd, 6th and 9th wickets to fall.
By TWrex
OK it was the first ball of the 110th over that secured a point & the last ball was just another wicket. But my version makes a better tale, must not let the facts spoil a good story & lessen the drama for those who were not there. Anyway I was very pleased at the time & at least it was in the last qualifying over. I don't bother filling in scorecards any more, otherwise would have noticed & as I now need binoculars to read the scoreboards I'll let myself off over the confusion. With some other things I have got wrong lately I think it is safe to say old dufferhood has arrived. :help:
T20 final group matches

Three to go after a good win yesterday. Leics on F[…]

Don Shepherd

The great man is 90 years old today, and here is a[…]

Final group match sees Middlesex come to the Garde[…]

It seems that the size of Kleinveldt is beginning […]