A forum for Kent CCC fans
By Kent Clerk
Rumours on other forums about SNE leaving for a Division 1 club. He’s contracted until end of next season though.

Obviously it’s a natural move for him and his England ambitions. But an utter disaster for Kent if it’s true.
By gmdf
He's contracted until the end of 2018, so I think it is unlikely. In any case, didn't we hear similar rumours at the end of the 2016 season? :thinking:
By Kent Clerk
We've all been pretty much aware this is happening so not too much of a shock to get confirmation now.

I'd still love to know what the circumstances were though. From everything I've read it wasn't a simple case of SNE telling the club he wanted to leave. The club has also contributed to his departure, either through incompetence or an active decision that we get rid.

A sad day, and not one which will improve vastly with the rumoured signing of some SA Kolpaks, because I'm not sure I'm keen on going down that road again.
By madmickeyt
it is indeed very disappointing news

we don't have the full facts regarding what went on, but it seems the player was not happy with our prospects of Div One cricket any time soon and the club did little/nothing to persuade him otherwise.

i don't think you can really blame Sam, this has been coming and our lack of ambition was always going to mean losing our better players.

like I said somewhere else, I think, the past few years are in danger of being the good old days!
By Kent Clerk
Oh absolutely: I don’t blame SNE in the slightest (though maybe I’d question his choice of new club...). He could have left us ages ago for a top flight team.
From all I’ve read, it looks like we could have had one more year with him, one more dart at promotion, through to the end of his contract. It was the club’s attempt to tie his re-appointment as captain to the signing of a contract extension which forced his hand.
A rumoured fall-out with Walker really needs an explanation too, not that we’ll ever get it.
By ir94
Any idea how much the compensation is?
Might go towards a new player? We still desperately need a seamer
Not sure how many players to pick from, looking at the released list, maybe Jim Allenby, Thakor,Azharullah or Potterfield.
My personal choice would be Azharullah
By ir94
True, not sure we want someone with his past convictions, maybe a loan from Middlessex (they have a lot of seamers) or another county/
Would love to get Azharullah in, might be getting older, but is a great bowler in all formats.
By gmdf
ir94 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:55 pm
True, not sure we want someone with his past convictions, maybe a loan from Middlessex (they have a lot of seamers) or another county/
Would love to get Azharullah in, might be getting older, but is a great bowler in all formats.

I think Middlesex will be less keen to loan to us as we are rivals in Div. 2.

I hope Thakor does get another chance - he's only 24 and has a lot of talent - but I suspect it's too early. Would be a good signing for someone though.
By life of riley
If Kent don't have any signings lined up they will certainly be one of if not the weakest county this season. Although I can possibly understand why Coles and Northeast have left it leaves Kent with a squad lacking both numbers and quality. It is certainly concerning that this close to the new season Kent appear to be in a position where they will not be competitive unless signings are made and that most of the other counties already have squads far better than Kent have.
By ir94
life of riley wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:55 pm
If Kent don't have any signings lined up they will certainly be one of if not the weakest county this season. Although I can possibly understand why Coles and Northeast have left it leaves Kent with a squad lacking both numbers and quality. It is certainly concerning that this close to the new season Kent appear to be in a position where they will not be competitive unless signings are made and that most of the other counties already have squads far better than Kent have.
Completely agree, add to the fact that Billings will be absent a lot, Stevens and Claydon are another year older, no overseas player yet, and we released quite a few players, the squad does look alarming thin and devoid of much quality.
A couple signings at least must be made, and not just risking it on club players and hoping they will perform such as Dickson and Stewart, but players with actually county experience. Sadly most other counties have done there signings already, so there is not many players to choose from, but still a few available which might improve the team at least.
Coles was our second highest wicket taker in fc, and highest in one day, and Northeast second highest run scorer in fc, that's a huge void to make up
THE GREATEST

At a time when we are mourning the great history o[…]

Aneurin Donald

As suspected Donald is leaving and moving on to Ha[…]

Steven Crook

Is retiring at the end of the season. The right de[…]

Away v Gloucs

Finally, Rob Newton is back and, unsurprisingly, d[…]