A forum for Kent CCC fans
By ir94
gmdf wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:17 pm
ir94 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:55 pm
True, not sure we want someone with his past convictions, maybe a loan from Middlessex (they have a lot of seamers) or another county/
Would love to get Azharullah in, might be getting older, but is a great bowler in all formats.

I think Middlesex will be less keen to loan to us as we are rivals in Div. 2.

I hope Thakor does get another chance - he's only 24 and has a lot of talent - but I suspect it's too early. Would be a good signing for someone though.
True, at this point, any player signing would be welcome!!
By life of riley
Wouldn't surprise me if Kent look to bolster the squad with loan signings from the counties with far more players. Usually look forward to the start of the season but as things stand have no expectations at all for this season. Would love to be proved wrong though!
By ir94
life of riley wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm
Wouldn't surprise me if Kent look to bolster the squad with loan signings from the counties with far more players. Usually look forward to the start of the season but as things stand have no expectations at all for this season. Would love to be proved wrong though!
I agree, some desperate loan signings (such as Newman or Harris in the past) will probably be made, such is the limited pool of players to choose from.
By gmdf
ir94 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:24 pm
life of riley wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm
I agree, some desperate loan signings (such as Newman or Harris in the past) will probably be made, such is the limited pool of players to choose from.
Very unfair to connect Newman & Harris - the latter would have been an excellent signing if we could have got him permanently. He's a class player.
By life of riley
I agree that James Harris was a good loan signing and Kent maybe able to strengthen the squad this way. It justs seems that despite comments made by the club regarding signings they have still not been announced and that is a concern. In my opinion Northeast and Coles (despite his form last season) are going to be very hard to replace and certainly not by loans from other counties and probably only by Kolpak signings.
By gmdf
life of riley wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm
I agree that James Harris was a good loan signing and Kent maybe able to strengthen the squad this way. It justs seems that despite comments made by the club regarding signings they have still not been announced and that is a concern. In my opinion Northeast and Coles (despite his form last season) are going to be very hard to replace and certainly not by loans from other counties and probably only by Kolpak signings.
I agree they will be hard to replace - Coles on the form of 2015 esp. I think a good overseas signing (or two for different periods of the season), and a Kolpak or two (or maybe one and a good loan signing) might suffice. It all depends on who they are I guess!
By life of riley
gmdf wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:38 pm
life of riley wrote:
I agree they will be hard to replace - Coles on the form of 2015 esp. I think a good overseas signing (or two for different periods of the season), and a Kolpak or two (or maybe one and a good loan signing) might suffice. It all depends on who they are I guess!
But are you confident the club will make signings gmdf. I am not but very much want Kent CCC to prove me wrong!!
By gmdf
life of riley wrote:
gmdf wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:38 pm
life of riley wrote:
But are you confident the club will make signings gmdf. I am not but very much want Kent CCC to prove me wrong!!
I've read more than once that they plan to do so, but I realise that sometimes wanting to do something doesn't end with it being done due to circumstances beyond our control (fitness, availability of the players we want, their home board refusing to certificate them etc.).

So I remain hopeful, but certainly not certain! :pray:
By PaulTavs
Why was Hugh Bernard released at such a young age?

Last season he topped the 2s' bowling averages and had the sixth-best 2nd XI Championship bowling average in the country.
By gmdf
PaulTavs wrote:Why was Hugh Bernard released at such a young age?

Last season he topped the 2s' bowling averages and had the sixth-best 2nd XI Championship bowling average in the country.
I heard 'on the grapevine' that there were, let us say, "issues", perhaps regarding his attitude.

I have no idea whether this is true.

I did see him play his only f-c game - bowled OK, but didn't look quick enough to really trouble county batsmen. Some time later I saw him in a 2nd XI game and he seemed to bowl faster, but with less control.
By PaulTavs
gmdf wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 am

I heard 'on the grapevine' that there were, let us say, "issues", perhaps regarding his attitude.

I did see him play his only f-c game - bowled OK, but didn't look quick enough to really trouble county batsmen. Some time later I saw him in a 2nd XI game and he seemed to bowl faster, but with less control.
Thanks. Obviously it is difficult to make an assessment from a distance based on a player's stats, but in this case they just looked too good for him to be let go purely based on performance.
By gmdf
PaulTavs wrote:
gmdf wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks. Obviously it is difficult to make an assessment from a distance based on a player's stats, but in this case they just looked too good for him to be let go purely based on performance.

It's a fair point that figures don't always tell the whole truth - for example Sam Weller was on the Kent staff for a while, had good first class figures for Oxford MCCU (15 @26 in 6 games), and looked impressive the only time I saw him play for the 2nds, but never played a first class game for Kent.

Given that, in recent years, Barnard, Weller, Ball & Hartley have all left without 'making it' , and the jury is still out on Hunn, Haggett & Thomas (and Stewart, who is just starting his career), the importance of what Alan Donald can bring to these fast bowlers can't be overestimated. We desperately need a couple of them to really stake a claim to be a regular first team player.
By PaulTavs
gmdf wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 am

It's a fair point that figures don't always tell the whole truth - for example Sam Weller was on the Kent staff for a while, had good first class figures for Oxford MCCU (15 @26 in 6 games), and looked impressive the only time I saw him play for the 2nds, but never played a first class game for Kent.

Given that, in recent years, Barnard, Weller, Ball & Hartley have all left without 'making it' , and the jury is still out on Hunn, Haggett & Thomas (and Stewart, who is just starting his career), the importance of what Alan Donald can bring to these fast bowlers can't be overestimated. We desperately need a couple of them to really stake a claim to be a regular first team player.
One wonders why Northants - with possibly the smallest budget for Championship cricket in the country - unearthed and nurtured Azharullah (playing club cricket), Richard Gleeson (was playing for Cumberland, now got a spot on the England Lions tour), Ben Sanderson (playing for Shropshire and club cricket in Australia while working on a farm), Nathan Buck (career had gone into the wilderness) and made all of them very potent seam bowlers, while some other Divsion 2 counties find themselves with an ineffective attack?
By gmdf
PaulTavs wrote:
gmdf wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 am

One wonders why Northants - with possibly the smallest budget for Championship cricket in the country - unearthed and nurtured Azharullah (playing club cricket), Richard Gleeson (was playing for Cumberland, now got a spot on the England Lions tour), Ben Sanderson (playing for Shropshire and club cricket in Australia while working on a farm), Nathan Buck (career had gone into the wilderness) and made all of them very potent seam bowlers, while some other Divsion 2 counties find themselves with an ineffective attack?
Whilst taking nothing away from Northants' scouting systems, it's worth noting that 3 of these players had played first class cricket before (Azharullah quite a lot, I think) and Gleason is 31 this year, so not a young player, whilst all of the Kent players were much younger & less experienced but didn't push on.

It's possible one or more of them may reappear, perhaps for Northants, in years to come! :doh:
THE GREATEST

At a time when we are mourning the great history o[…]

Aneurin Donald

As suspected Donald is leaving and moving on to Ha[…]

Steven Crook

Is retiring at the end of the season. The right de[…]

Away v Gloucs

Finally, Rob Newton is back and, unsurprisingly, d[…]