A forum for Lancashire CCC fans
Hi everyone,

We posted this newsletter to our email contact list earlier tonight.

This is an important update on various issues that the newly reformed Lancashire Action group is addressing. Please take time to read the contents and feel free to provide any feedback.

We are now a group of 7 active members meeting at least once a month with additional support from fellow Lancashire members and supporters when required. Our thanks go to the work Roger Ollier put into the action group over the years but it is now time to move forward in a positive manner.

Our aims and objectives are very straight forward. To support the team on the pitch, and there has to be a lot of optimism moving into the new season, but to champion members and supporters causes off it. If anything what the last 3/4 years has shown us is that the Club has moved backwards not forwards in that regard and the communication between Club and supporters has, if anything, grown even worse, despite the Club's formation of the Members Representative Group (MRG).

We are, therefore,proud to announce the set up of a Lancashire supporters fanzine aiming to release it around three times a year. "Not the Spin" is its name and we are on schedule to publish our first edition in time for the start of the new season. We are going to charge just £1 for the publication, which will be non-profit making, and it will be available to purchase outside Old Trafford on match days, at away games and we will be happy to post it for no extra charge to anybody in the UK.

We already have lined up interviews with ex-players, celebrity fans and have a number of journalists who are helping to put together what we hope will prove to be a very interesting read. As any fanzine should be it will aim to be both light hearted but champion members and supporters issues that have sadly grown, particularly since Old Trafford was rebuilt.

We are also selling our own smart polo shirt for only £15 during the season, and we can also deliver them for just a further £1.49 to cover postage and packing, which we are having manufactured as we speak. The shirt will be available in Black & Royal Blue as and in sizes from Small through to 3XL. If you wish to order a shirt(s) then please contact us via email.

As you probably know we managed to get a number of significant changes made to the ground 3/4 years ago to improve supporters facilities such as the return of the library that was demolished when the ground was rebuilt and the part renovation of the old Red Rose suite where many members enjoy the elevated view, ashamedly still not available to traditional members in their own pavilion, and which existence is now threatened by the Chairman in quotes he made towards the end of last season.

The lack of decent supporters facilities, in what is still a new ground, sorry stadium, is bewildering as is the lack of Members benefits compared to the vast majority of other County Clubs. The Board, do not put Lancashire's Members and supporters rights first which should be their prerogative. We will try and put pressure on them to ensure that fact changes.
The saga with the museum is, for instance, a prime example. Like many supporters we could not believe that the Board had decided to demolish it, like many other supporters facilities, when the ground was rebuilt. When we carried out our own independent questionnaire back in 2014 the disappearance of the Museum was one of the many highlighted issues.

We campaigned for its return but all the Board did was to apologise and repeatedly fudge the issue. A few items of memorabilia were put up the next year in the Pavilion but this was still a far cry from what supporters wanted. This unsatisfactory issue continued to rumble on and on until Daniel Gidney, the Chief Executive, announced with great fanfare, at an MRG meeting back on the 5th June 2016, that in 5 or 6 weeks work would begin on a brand new museum in the Indoor Cricket Centre. Well Daniel that's over 19 months ago and we know the wheels of time run notoriously slowly at Old Trafford but even by Lancashire's standards this showed a new level of ineptitude.

We now believe, that finally, the Club are 'shortly' to carry out work on a museum and heritage trail. Watch this space! Just the nine years after the Club demolished the Museum we might be starting to get something back that should had been rebuilt and opened as part of an integral part of the new ground.

Finally, if you are wondering why the Members Representative Group's minutes have not appeared on the website yet, from their meeting back on December 4th last year, you are in good company! Despite a promised turnaround of three weeks MRG members themselves are yet to receive them. The beleaguered MRG's own emails requesting them have been repeatedly ignored by Club Officials without even a cursory reply. We know how they feel!!!

We now have it on very good authority that the minutes from this controversial meeting, where the future of MRG officials was no doubt discussed, are still being vetted by the Club at Board level which is now over 7 weeks after the original meeting. Make of that what you will but i'm sure like us you will be taking the published version with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for your time. Please email us with any comments good or bad. We also have a new facebook page at - Lancashire Cricket Action Group and you can follow us on twitter at - @lancscccaction

Thank you for your time.

Lancashire Action Group
Thanks for reply.

If your not a member there is no sheltered view at all and half the games are played in Spring & Autumn now. Just a burger van for food, parts of ground closed, nowhere to buy snacks, shop laughable. Etc, etc.Red ball Cricket should be mainly played at out grounds it’s a soulless ground for County Cricket.
mctownie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:42 am
Red ball Cricket should be mainly played at out grounds it’s a soulless ground for County Cricket.
Good luck with that. Can't see that ever happening again.

I hope you are also able to address the total inability to communicate with supporters through the website.
mctownie wrote:
If your not a member there is no sheltered view at all and half the games are played in Spring & Autumn now. Just a burger van for food, parts of ground closed, nowhere to buy snacks, shop laughable. Etc, etc.
As an itinerant fan of the county game, these sort of issues are very familiar experiences.

As you say, particularly with matches now played in April, a complete rethink is needed for how spectators are accommodated. I am sure Old Trafford must have rooms and boxes overlooking the playing area that are barely used outside international and T20 Blast games. It's not reasonable to expect customers to have nowhere to go indoors in April.

As for catering, for some reason it seems the vast improvement in the choice and quality of food in the UK over the last 25 years or so has completely passed some counties by. Also, as cricket, as a sport, is something which promotes a healthy lifestyle for its participants, you would expect this to extend to the food options at matches.
mctownie liked this
chris wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 pm
mctownie wrote:
Red ball Cricket should be mainly played at out grounds it’s a soulless ground for County Cricket.

I hope you are also able to address the total inability to communicate with supporters through the website.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the message and yes the website is one of a growing number of issues we are going to fight in support of members and supporters. Don't forget to let us know if you wish to receive our newsletters by email and you can follow us on twitter and on our facebook page.

Thanks,

Ian
PaulTavs wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 am
Very interesting. I think it is great that you are producing a fanzine, I'll try to get hold of one.

When you say "lack of supporters' facilities", what is it that is lacking?
Don't forget when Alan Lee went round the grounds 3/4 years ago for The Cricket Paper he marked Lancashire (despite a new ground) right near the bottom for facilities etc.
mctownie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:39 pm
chris wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 pm
mctownie wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the message and yes the website is one of a growing number of issues we are going to fight in support of members and supporters. Don't forget to let us know if you wish to receive our newsletters by email and you can follow us on twitter and on our facebook page.

Thanks,

Ian
The website content would be so simple to improve, if there was a will to resource it, but I always get friendly meaningless replies to serious suggestions generally along the line of 'thanks for that let me know if there is anything else I can do ...' but then nothing happens improves. Which is entirely consistent with the lack of meaningful progress and commmunication on other matters that your group generally mentions. I don't beleive the powers that be are the slightest bit interested in external communication, other than ticket sales, and don't see any link between the two.

Don't do FB or twitter, although do read bits from time to time. Happy to read updates on here and other forums from time to time.
davee wrote:Plenty of facilities around OT, out the back over the hill there's a chippy & a cafe, across the road theres the the popular Town Hall canteen, further down theres Tesco where the reduced counter is busy at 1-05pm across from Tesco theres a couple of Takeaways and a Spoons.
:joy: :joy: :joy: don't forget the free parking at Tescos for 3 hours then move your car on Warwick Road free after 5 if you get there around 2 when I do!
PaulTavs wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:16 pm
mctownie wrote:
If your not a member there is no sheltered view at all and half the games are played in Spring & Autumn now. Just a burger van for food, parts of ground closed, nowhere to buy snacks, shop laughable. Etc, etc.
As an itinerant fan of the county game, these sort of issues are very familiar experiences.

As you say, particularly with matches now played in April, a complete rethink is needed for how spectators are accommodated. I am sure Old Trafford must have rooms and boxes overlooking the playing area that are barely used outside international and T20 Blast games. It's not reasonable to expect customers to have nowhere to go indoors in April.

As for catering, for some reason it seems the vast improvement in the choice and quality of food in the UK over the last 25 years or so has completely passed some counties by. Also, as cricket, as a sport, is something which promotes a healthy lifestyle for its participants, you would expect this to extend to the food options at matches.
Couldn't agree more. The fact that Lancashire has got rid of views behind glass for traditional members makes the situation even worse now that the red ball games are played out of the summer period.

I think the food options are to kill us off quickly so they can get rid of the County members as quickly as possible. We are rather a nuisance sometimes
Couldn't agree more. The fact that Lancashire has got rid of views behind glass for traditional members makes the situation even worse now that the red ball games are played out of the summer period.

[/quote]

Does that mean that there is no access to the ground floor of the old Pavilion now? Or just that as in recent years the view is usually blocked by site screens and there are only about three seats where you can see from ?
You are only allowed on the ground floor not any of the tiers above and after the Action Group successfully campaigned for the reduction of the sightscreen it has now crept back to its original size 18 months ago.

Literally 6 seats you could watch a game I went to last year. It is a ludicrous situation and simply not acceptable for traditional members to be treated this way.
GDPR

Hi all, You're probably bored of all the GDPR ema[…]

I've just come across this - which might interest […]

Turnaround needed

One win in three for Essex. All away from home. I […]

Kent v Glamorgan ODC 25 May

Match 4 at lovely Canterbury and a must-win encoun[…]