A forum for Lancashire CCC fans
By chris
playing for the Lions. Took 3 wickets in first innings.

Has previously played 4 first class games for Lancashire taking 13 wickets. So 20% of his FCC has been for England. Surely, has to take Jarvis' place in the Lancashire side rather than Onions.

http://cricketwestindies.org/index.php/match-centre/

A return to Lancs' 2nds would be an indictment of their selection. Full strength pace attacked has to be Mahmood, Mennie & Anderson. Bailey to replace Anderson.
By PaulTavs
Do you think Lancashire have the attack to challenge for the Championship this year? Should be thereabouts, one would think.
By chris
PaulTavs wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:37 am
Do you think Lancashire have the attack to challenge for the Championship this year? Should be thereabouts, one would think.
I guess that depends on whether Parkinson and Mahmood come through. Mahmood will have the advantage of it essentially being his first season - despite his debut being in 2016. Parkinson has played more. Then it depends on selection. Do they go with a young leg spinner in April / May or the experience of Parry who had his first full season last year?

Pace wise will Mennie click immediately - it took Jarvis a year plus to settle in? How many games Anderson will play?

Bailey or Clark for the fourth seamer? That is bowler who can bit rather than batter who can bowl. Because 8, 9, 10, 11 is a long tail especially when a lot of counties make their runs in the lower order with seamer friendly pitches and conditions for the new ball.

Lancs would need a flying start and after that confidence is a great match winner. They could have had that last year, I still wonder what would have happened had they asked Essex to follow on in that early season match.
By LankyShark
Chris. You would put Bailey ahead of Onions?

I don’t tend to see much of other teams, so I haven’t seen much of Onions, but if you would choose Bailey ahead of him to replace Anderson, then I would be very disappointed
By Red and rosy
Balancing out the side is Lancashire's biggest problem as they have a lot of bowlers who don't bat much. McLaren is a definite loss.

Might Lancashire see Livingstone's improving spin as almost equal to Parry in the early season games where the seamers are likely to do the bulk of the work.

They could add depth to the batting with Jones or Croft at seven then all four of mennie onions mahmood and Bailey without having a really long tail.

I am unsure Clark can deliver the runs at seven or give enough control with his bowling. If he is ever going to cement a place in the team this is the year.

Allott recently said he feels mahmood needs to play first team regularly to develop now so I hope he is pushed on this season as he is definitely a talent.
By chris
LankyShark wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:26 pm
Chris. You would put Bailey ahead of Onions?

I don’t tend to see much of other teams, so I haven’t seen much of Onions, but if you would choose Bailey ahead of him to replace Anderson, then I would be very disappointed
I'd forgotten they'd signed him. Would make the tail even worse.

Bailey has always been highly rated by the coaching staff. But why sign Mennie and Onions if you have faith in Mahmood and Bailey? Although I suspect both will spend part of the summer injured. I see Mahmood only bowled three overs yesterday.
By chris
Red and rosy wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm
Balancing out the side is Lancashire's biggest problem as they have a lot of bowlers who don't bat much. McLaren is a definite loss.

Might Lancashire see Livingstone's improving spin as almost equal to Parry in the early season games where the seamers are likely to do the bulk of the work.

They could add depth to the batting with Jones or Croft at seven then all four of mennie onions mahmood and Bailey without having a really long tail.
Still shocking tail if they play 3 of Onions, Anderson, Mennie and Mahmood plus a spinner. So maybe the plan is to rely on Livingstone and Croft in the spin department and play all 4. How depressing is that. Let's make room for Onions at the expense of Parkinson!
By PaulTavs
chris wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 am

How many games Anderson will play?
So few that probably best not to count on him at all, I guess.

Difficult to predict, but the last 5 games are all out of the equation, and as England are in New Zealand until early April, probably at least all April's Championship games as well. That leaves just 5 and I don't think June's two matches would have any value for England with the India Tests not starting until August.

So maybe just 1 or 2 to warm up for Pakistan?
By chris
PaulTavs wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:11 am
chris wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 am

How many games Anderson will play?
So few that probably best not to count on him at all, I guess.

Difficult to predict, but the last 5 games are all out of the equation, and as England are in New Zealand until early April, probably at least all April's Championship games as well. That leaves just 5 and I don't think June's two matches would have any value for England with the India Tests not starting until August.

So maybe just 1 or 2 to warm up for Pakistan?
Lancs have 9 championship matches before the first test against India. None coincide with the Pakistan tests.

3 in April, 2 in May (before the Pakistan tests) and then 3 in June and 1 in July

I'd be hoping for maybe 3 before Pakistan (they seem to start weekly on a Friday from 13 April.

The Essex game in early June maybe too soon after the tests, and maybe the Yorkshire match at the end of July too near the first test against India. But surely he'd like to play at least one of the other two in late June as Lancs are hardly likely to be involved in the latter stages of the RL50 competition. They have been poor in that format for years.

Mind you, it may well be business as usual in that more or less everyone except Anderson is released to play. And Lancs may agree to play in him in the T20 competition purely for financial reasons.
By LankyShark
chris wrote:
Bailey has always been highly rated by the coaching staff.
You are probably right. Never quite understood that myself, but then what do I know?
By Red and rosy
I think we need to develop mahmood and Bailey as well as Clark as the all rounder as I am not sure if we have much quality behind them.

Lester lamb and hurt haven't shown great pedigree so far with the first two only given one year contract extensions last year which suggests the management are still unsure of them. None of the seam bowling trialists showed much in the seconds last year either.

We may become reliant on overseas bowlers and short term solutions such as onions.

Now that he's fit, is there an argument to play Me[…]

Sussex v Glamorgan

Nice trip then to the south east cost for game thi[…]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]