A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Nick14
Welcome all, good to see the membership growing, spread the word and we can look forward to some lively chat.
By Bradders
[quote="northernknight"]
Thought I'd give another forum a try.

Long time supporter, currently pretty horrified by David Smith and what I perceive to be his underhand and disrespectful treatment of players.
[/quote]

A colleague of mine always attends the end of season players dinner and did so again this year.  They are a good acquaintance of one of the players (all names shall dutifully be withheld), the stories retold to me from that evening suggest some pretty disgruntled squad members......though that should come as no surprise to many of us I dare say.  The atmosphere was described as 'funereal'.

I fear that we have three big hills to climb next season!
By northernknight
[quote="Bradders"]
[quote="northernknight"]
Thought I'd give another forum a try.

Long time supporter, currently pretty horrified by David Smith and what I perceive to be his underhand and disrespectful treatment of players.
[/quote]

A colleague of mine always attends the end of season players dinner and did so again this year.  They are a good acquaintance of one of the players (all names shall dutifully be withheld), the stories retold to me from that evening suggest some pretty disgruntled squad members......though that should come as no surprise to many of us I dare say.  The atmosphere was described as 'funereal'.

I fear that we have three big hills to climb next season!
[/quote]
Also being fortunate enough to "know someone who knows some" I've heard some pretty ordinary things about the way things have happened. The icing on the cake for me was the public humiliation of Kettleborough. Who treats a young promising player like that? Some will be fine with it as a business decision but it's appalling man management. I thought Capes was poor in that area, but Smith blows him out of the water.

Anyway, this probably isn't the topic for this discussion!
By Filkins
Hi all, have been lurking in the shadows of the old proboards for a couple of years so wanted to support Mav and all the other regulars by 'coming out' on the new forum. Family goes way back with Northants (father worked for the legendary VWC Jupp and played for the Saints, late great Aunt from Sandringham Road a member for 50 years etc etc). Your county is your county (thanks Dad...). Ex club player and now helping to run a West of England Premier League side down in the Cotswolds.

Surprised at Smith going so hastily, sadly doesn't sound like we have an immediate successor lined up. Gap between Div 1 and 2 is huge and getting huger as we now know. A side with nous in the form of Pedro, Midders and Azhar plus youth from Ketts, Willey, Wakers, Stone, Keogh, Duckett, Newton and Rossington as a core actually sounded exciting and good for English cricket...until the Midders and Ketts news. Agree a priority to get them back, if its not too late... Any other sides making that sort of commitment to England-qualified youngsters?
By Bradders
What a girding of the loins, 'your county is your county'.  Absolutely, come on County, come on you Steelbacks!!!

Hopefully, onwards and upwards gentlemen.
By Alex
It's good to see so many Northamptonshire fans have come across to VFTB, welcome aboard everyone :)
By towncrier
Great to see this new board in action,was tudor rose in a former life as always looking forward to the new season .
By Nick14
Great to see new people joining all the time - welcome all - and a reminder to all to follow the Twitter account if that is something you use - only 17 followers just now so we need to try and get that built up - spread the word!
Last edited by Nick14 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By saintcobbler
I'm an occasional poster from the old forum and very much look forward to next season on VFTB, plus an exciting season from NCCC. I live in Kent so don't get to as many home games as I would like. It will be good to renew acqaintance with Canterbury again next year though when Northants hit the city, with let's hope the same result as 2 years ago. Is there any way we can get Copeland back?
By mav
[quote="saintcobbler"]
I'm an occasional poster from the old forum and very much look forward to next season on VFTB, plus an exciting season from NCCC. I live in Kent so don't get to as many home games as I would like. It will be good to renew acqaintance with Canterbury again next year though when Northants hit the city, with let's hope the same result as 2 years ago. Is there any way we can get Copeland back?
[/quote]

At this stage I am not sure anyone knows the rules so why not??

Good to see you here.
By onemorerun
Hello All - I'm a life member at Northants (so unlike Mav, I can't not renew!) and on Proboards for a couple of years.  I never miss a T20 match, and get to bits of the other formats without any great enthusiasm (a winless season doesn't help in that respect!)
By Markjones
Joined VFTB today...looking forward to the new Northants season.  Was a member as a child when I lived nearer to Northampton but after 20 years abroad now live in London but have every intention of attending a game this season. Gutted how it all wnet so wrong last season and rather worried about the loss of various players - I feel we are going to struggle this season even in the 2nd division but fingers crossed - it seems a bit gloomy at Wantage road recently.
Why did Kettleborough leave?
Was Smith so bad? He seems to getting us back on track? surely he can't be blamed for last season's nightmare - so unlcky with the vital overseas player. I know he's supposed to have been interfering in team matters but..
By mav
[quote="Markjones"]
Joined VFTB today...looking forward to the new Northants season.  Was a member as a child when I lived nearer to Northampton but after 20 years abroad now live in London but have every intention of attending a game this season. Gutted how it all wnet so wrong last season and rather worried about the loss of various players - I feel we are going to struggle this season even in the 2nd division but fingers crossed - it seems a bit gloomy at Wantage road recently.
Why did Kettleborough leave?
Was Smith so bad? He seems to getting us back on track? surely he can't be blamed for last season's nightmare - so unlcky with the vital overseas player. I know he's supposed to have been interfering in team matters but..
[/quote]

Ketts left as he was not offered a two year deal, nor was he made to feel wanted by the club.

Smith was so bad because he was the guy in charge of the finances when we obviously overspent massively but still managed to under recruit?

He was in charge of the cash but never felt to prepare for the cash for England players may stop despite advancing years and rumbles in the press.

He was the guy that was dismissing everyone that questioned out attack.

Plus he released players who had performed very well (in comparison) attempted to get others to leave (despite having no replacements).

The guy seemed to be doing well, till you looked beyond the headlines.

APL 2018 inaugural edition is starting from 5th Oc[…]

Who deserves to stay at Glamorgan and why? Morris?[…]