A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By mav
97 - 8 at lunch.

I am happy with that even after where they were. They have shown you can get runs on this.

Have to admit I have started to think what if when it comes to division 1!
By Den Buckett
Looks like Notts may drop a bowling point. However if they score 400 and close their match out as a draw we can't catch them.
By Den Buckett
Sussex now up to 500 so a Notts win looks fairly unlikely. We now need to pick up 1 more batting point than them and win the match. Obviously if they get 400 in the 110 overs we are done.
By Den Buckett
Without the 5 point deduction we would only need to get to 200 and win the match! Such a shame, but that was our own fault.
By Bucksman
Den Buckett wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:44 pm
We now need to pick up 1 more batting point than them and win the match. Obviously if they get 400 in the 110 overs we are done.

Sadly, though, the skipper has failed again.
By Ironside
Its impossibly hard being a Northants fan watching yet another middle order collapse.
And so predictable
Much as I would love to see first division cricket we just don't have the ability to cope.
Sadly Wakely just doesn't perform often enough and Keogh is a wicket waiting to fall.
To lose 6 wickets for 31 runs, having established a really good position, and with Notts in disarray, is sickening. Looks like promotion throw naway
By Den Buckett
Ironside wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm
Its impossibly hard being a Northants fan watching yet another middle order collapse.
And so predictable
Much as I would love to see first division cricket we just don't have the ability to cope.
Sadly Wakely just doesn't perform often enough and Keogh is a wicket waiting to fall.
To lose 6 wickets for 31 runs, having established a really good position, and with Notts in disarray, is sickening. Looks like promotion throw naway
Don't get too down-hearted. There is still a chance that Notts may not get to 200 and still a chance they could lose their match. Also our collapse moves the match on and could actually give us more chance of getting the win.

You are right - the batting will never cope with Div 1 bowling.
By onemorerun
My mood changed in the last hour. Around 5pm both matches were going the way we wanted, after that nothing went right.

I think it will be a struggle now, we will probably know tomorrow. I think we'll end up ruing that 5 point deduction.
By Bucksman
A matter of rain on day 1 and Raine on day 2!!

The propensity to collectively 'switch off' in one poor session has to be a concern in frittering away such a dominant position, particularly against the bottom team, and effectively demonstrates why we are not really a Division 1 side.

Of course, we can still kick on for the win to finish the season in positive fashion, but the necessary 'killer instinct' was lacking in stating our genuine credentials for the top tier.

We shall see, though!
By onemorerun
Is this right?

We have 201 points, so if we win we'll have 217.

Notts have 212 points, so a draw would give them 217. So if they get to 200 runs, we're in Division Two next year.
By onemorerun
Yes, of course, I was assuming a Notts draw.

Assuming we win, is it right that Notts will need a further six points from their game (including 5 for the draw), as that would then give them 218?
By Den Buckett
We can forget the bonus points now, it is just a case of Notts having to lose and we have to win. Both starting to look unlikely!
The End of Test Cricket

The current format of Test Cricket Tours is going […]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

Somerset v Glamorgan

The weather seems likely to end up the winner toda[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]