A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Bucksman
Wicket for Keogh... it would be encouraging see him have some tangible influence on proceedings now.
By Shortlegs
Promotion looks very unlikely now that Notts have ended up ammassing a big first innings score and avoided the follow on. Looks like a nearly year for us, but creditable all the same.

However, our constant first innings middle order collapses are a huge concern moving forward. I am struggling to think of any matches where it hasn't happened. I think it's time for Keogh, Cobb and Wakely to become back-up at best for CC matches. In fact I seriously think Keogh's whole future as a first class cricketer must now be questioned. He seems to be going backwards as a batsman, which is his main role.
onemorerun liked this
By Bucksman
This game shouldn't be beyond us now, one would think, but no more anti-climaxes, fellas, please!
By onemorerun
Shortlegs wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 pm
Promotion looks very unlikely now that Notts have ended up ammassing a big first innings score and avoided the follow on. Looks like a nearly year for us, but creditable all the same.

However, our constant first innings middle order collapses are a huge concern moving forward. I am struggling to think of any matches where it hasn't happened. I think it's time for Keogh, Cobb and Wakely to become back-up at best for CC matches. In fact I seriously think Keogh's whole future as a first class cricketer must now be questioned. He seems to be going backwards as a batsman, which is his main role.
Very creditable in some ways (notably bowling), but ultimately ruined by the unprofessionalism of being docked five points for slow over rate. I hope it gets drilled into the team, and above all the captain, that it's unacceptable. I don't want to see any 'these things happen' comments from the club.

I remember the 1987 NatWest Final, when it was said that not only had we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but we had to reach down victory's throat to get it. This time, we've had to slit victory open in order to snatch defeat from its stomach!

You are right about the batting. Holden, aged 19, showed up some of our alleged batsmen for what they are, division two journeymen. I think we've finished with 29 batting points out of a possible 70 - just 41%. We need some batsmen from somewhere, but where? Other counties are going to hang on to their good ones.

Finally, of course, it was good to note that our luck stayed with us right to the end, with our main bowler pulling out after 11 balls!
By Den Buckett
If we win tomorrow and end 5 points short it will be annoying but overall I will still be happy. It would be 9 wins out of 14, amazingly 2 more than Notts. T20 also went down to the last group match. A decent season.
By saintcobbler
It's amazing really how well we've done this season when carrying so many passengers.
By Vee
onemorerun wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm
[quote=Shortlegs post_id=22123 time=1506525509
Just to put the record straight Alex Wakely was at the hospital with an injury and not even at the ground when the slow over rate occurred and we were deducted 5 points !

Very creditable in some ways (notably bowling), but ultimately ruined by the unprofessionalism of being docked five points for slow over rate. I hope it gets drilled into the team, and above all the captain, that it's unacceptable. I don't want to see any 'these things happen' comments from the club.
By onemorerun
If that's right, then I take back my comment laying the blame on Wakely. Unfortunately, reporting is so poor (local paper only appears weekly and doesn't include any actual cricket reporting) that sometimes wrong assumptions are made.

Who was responsible? The stand-in captain not reading the scoreboard, the players generally, or the Coach? Or is it "just one of those things"?
By Shortlegs
Although the 5 point deduction may actually make the mathematical difference to us not getting promoted, a decent haul of batting points would have made the deduction meaningless. That's been the most important factor in the end and has happened after a number of solid starts so there's no doubt it's down to the middle order. May I add that the seam bowling unit has been excellent overall, despite all of them being injured at some point in the season. They are the main reason we have got close to promotion.
By Bucksman
Yep, those 5 deducted points would have seen us up on the greater number of wins rule.

It'll be interesting to hear the official response from the club... if there is one!

APL 2018 inaugural edition is starting from 5th Oc[…]

Who deserves to stay at Glamorgan and why? Morris?[…]