A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Den Buckett
A difficult start against the 2 relegated teams, but as predicted the batting has looked terribly thin again - major changes should have been made to that area in the winter. Only Newton looking anywhere near up to standard. Duckett has a career average of over 40 so should be persisted with. The rest of the line-up is poor with Wakely and Keogh still getting in despite a long period of failures
By Bucksman
It could be said that those deducted slow over rate points were a blessing in disguise, based on the evidence of what we have seen so far in 2018!

Levi, at least, needs to be included with Newton and Duckett as, apart from his failure yesterday, he got a good one from Sidebottom (he probed superbly) in the first innings just as he was getting set.

Rather like England, despite the individual skills of the seamers, our bowling is somewhat one-dimensional right arm fast-medium, lacking the variety that a left armer would bring to the attack. Keogh's inevitable limitations as a spinner are being ruthlessly exposed, making him incapable of holding an end over longer spells, thus allowing the seamers to bowl in rotation, as was the case for the opposition with Patel.

Hopefully, Durham will allow us a degree of relief, following the admittedly tough start, before it's Warks again... on their own patch!!
By Shortlegs
Agree with all the above comments. Weak batting line up exposed again. We haven't signed (except loans) a new out and out batsman for years. Only Duckett, Newton and Levi have done enough in recent times to be worth persevering with, but we plod on with Wakely, Keogh and Cobb.

I think we have good seam bowlers but it is a little one dimensional as Bucksman says. A left armer would definitely help and a different style of bowler (like a skiddy Azhar type) might also be useful. I also think we should play a proper spinner (White). Cobb and Keogh are occasional bowlers. Keogh has never really lived up to the all rounder tag the club try to give him and this seems to have coincided with a deterioration in his batting form.

Here's hoping for a significant improvement next time out. Another batting failure and serious action will need to be taken.
By mav
Still need an opener for me, as much as I dont rate Wakes with the bat, its got to be difficult with no protection.
By onemorerun
Return match at Edgbaston - Northants bat first, missing Newton (finger) and Gleeson (elbow). Latter could be out for weeks, they say.

Northants - Proctor, Duckett, Wakely, Levi, Keogh, Rossington, Cobb, Crook, Bracewell, Hutton, Sanderson.
By onemorerun
Levi 0 (season average 16.8)

20-3 off 6 overs.

Commentators saying it's a good wicket and we chose to bat.

I think we need a batting coach (a real one).
By onemorerun
Cobb and Crook fighting back, but Cobb's gone now for 29, total 102-7.

Will we ever score a batting bonus point this season?!
By onemorerun
Yes!

Crook/Bracewell equalled Northants record 8th wicket stand v Warks -122.

Crook now out for 92 (commentators say a very weak dismissal - caught off a ball a foot down leg side.

Northants 225-8.
By onemorerun
We showed some fight at last, or at least Crook and Bracewell did. 256 all out, then a couple of early Warks wickets.

Pity Crook didn't get a 100, but good to see him scoring - might bode well for the 50 overs comp and 2020 - last year he was barely worth his place in the team.
Somerset v Glamorgan ODC 20 May

Match 2 and a trip to Taunton. Should be a good on[…]

Royal London One Day Cup

Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new compe[…]

2nd XI

Personally I think it is very disappointing that t[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]