Any news or views on International Cricket
By Alex
Promising start by England but just lost 3 quick wickets including Root by Shanaka who had 3-1  :-k
By LankyShark
Not sure what's happened here. 

This was in response to a suggestion that Geoffrey Boycott may have said that there were only 9000 in the ground. (I don't know whether that's true or not, however, 

I hope you are not doubting Sir Geoffrey! 

I have probably been saying this for a long time now and general prices have gone up considerably since then, but I remember getting (adult) tickets for Old Trafford to watch England v. West Indies for £10.

The cheapest price for tomorrow (and I am guessing today too) is £35 and against Sri Lanka that (plus costs) may seem more than some would like to pay in mid-May on a work/school day
Last edited by LankyShark on Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Discodai
I paid £30 in advance for my ticket today. Consider £10 a session in today's economy a great price. I love the fact you can choose your actual seat on the website,so booked mine up months ago. Have attended the Headingley test for the past 4 or 5 years(coming from South Wales it's no mean feat!)and enjoy it more and more each time. Today was no exception! Apart from the rain curtailing things! Hoping for more tomorrow,maybe with more discipline shown by the batsmen! Came up hoping to see Chameera bowl,after watching him v NZ on the tele in the winter,but didn't expect Shanaka to be the star!!
Hales and Bairstow were excellent in different ways!! Superb 50 overs worth of value for money
By Iron Mike
I heard Boycott saying on the radio about 5.30pm saying there were just 9000 there who paid good money and we're effectively shortchanged by the weather. 

I suppose 9000 in mid May on day 1 isn't too bad and it seems Yorkshire have got their pricing right as Discodai says. The last time SL came to Glam in 2011 I paid £45 to go in the family alcohol free corner stand for the Saturday...yet paid £40 I think for the Ashes ODI in the Cardiff pavilion stand and less for double header t20i in the same stand last tear. International match prices are fair value...perhaps the ECB let the host county have a say in pricing to keep it fair and reasonable.

To be honest I took my post off and didn't put it all back as it came  on Glams forum!

By the way I've got a few Boycott biogs and auto biogs...For a balanced view and full sp of the civil war that was Yorkies cricket I remember being talked about in the mid 80s even after his retirement...fascinating stuff as is the story and legacy of the Packer era...both still occasionally talked about even today.

In the here and now this partnership looks quite entertaining!
By Alex
Hales has just given it away when he was looking so good, tried to smash Herath over the top and got an outside edge which travelled to deep extra cover. A great innings ruined by a rush of blood to the head!  :(
By LankyShark
I will never forget Boycott "crying" into his handkerchief at Trinidad in 1994. The crowd loved it. It suited them perfectly as they had been offering us cups of tea whilst dancing around.

Clearly he is not perfect. No one is. But for a Yorkshireman he's not as bad as some make out.

And he predicted Sri Lanka following on.
By Iron Mike
[quote="LankyShark"]
I will never forget Boycott "crying" into his handkerchief at Trinidad in 1994. The crowd loved it. It suited them perfectly as they had been offering us cups of tea whilst dancing around.

Clearly he is not perfect. No one is. But for a Yorkshireman he's not as bad as some make out.

And he predicted Sri Lanka following on.
[/quote]

Yep,,rarely wrong is he? And always worth listening to.

The over-riding thing about all the Boycott books is that he has had to be so single-minded to get on - even in Yorkies colts to get his career started.

Only hit 1 Sunday ton - at Bae Colwyn.

I think the best books about him is this one by the cricket writer of the Yorkshire Eevening Post in 1982 - very balanced indeed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boycott-Cricke ... ff+boycott

Also this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boycott-Don-Mo ... ff+boycott
Last edited by Iron Mike on Fri May 20, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By notgoingoutreprise
[quote="glamman"]
Sri Lanka have not looked great in the warm up games and no suprise to see their batting struggling.
[/quote]Could have sworn I heard somebody shouting out "are you Glamorgan in disguise"
By Iron Mike
At one point I thought there might be a 2 day test like the Windies in 2000 also at Headingley. 

Anyone think it will finish tonight or will SL dig in?
By Bucksman
ODI time now and the top order frailties still show no sign of abating, although it could be argued a tie has nicely set up the series.
By Alex
With Roy and Hales they are very much hot or cold so we either have a fantastic start or end up 20/2. Not sure whether I'd prefer to have a stable opening partnership or one that could take the game away from the opposition.

I guess the fact that England bat all the way down to 11 means that they can afford to take the risk  :-k
Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]

I've just come across this - which might interest […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Northants 2018

Well, I thought I'd start this one early!! What's […]