Any news or views on International Cricket
By Alex
With the first test round the corner thought I'd start a tour thread. Feel free to use this to discuss matches or anything else to do with the tour.

For me personally it's an exciting one as I'm heading out there for the Melbourne and Sydney tests so hoping England can hold their own!
By johnsantaclaws
I was at the Sydney Test in 1991 and then again in 1995. I love the ground; perhaps even slightly more than Lord's.

The England side for this series looks weak.

Does Root have enough experience of captaincy, and was Anderson really a wise choice as his deputy?

Can Cook still thrive at this level or does he need at least one dropped chance in the slips early in his innings?

Will the newish batsmen be able to score runs against the Aussies in Test matches?

Are Anderson and Broad over the hill and, if so, can the new seam bowlers replace them?

Only Root, Bairstow and Ali seem dependable.

HOWEVER:
(1) I cannot recall an Ashes series where the outcome seemed so uncertain; but

(2) whatever does happen will quickly be described as "inevitable".
By Summer of '77
johnsantaclaws wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm
I was at the Sydney Test in 1991 and then again in 1995. I love the ground; perhaps even slightly more than Lord's.

The England side for this series looks weak.

Does Root have enough experience of captaincy, and was Anderson really a wise choice as his deputy?

Can Cook still thrive at this level or does he need at least one dropped chance in the slips early in his innings?

Will the newish batsmen be able to score runs against the Aussies in Test matches?

Are Anderson and Broad over the hill and, if so, can the new seam bowlers replace them?

Only Root, Bairstow and Ali seem dependable.

HOWEVER:
(1) I cannot recall an Ashes series where the outcome seemed so uncertain; but

(2) whatever does happen will quickly be described as "inevitable".
Yes, a weaker and much less settled side than the one which was thumped 5-0 last time around. The only area in which England appear to have an edge is in the late middle order, which has constantly prospered in recent series. Australia are not without their uncertainties but, in Warner, Khawaja and Smith, possess three top order bats who are beasts on their own pitches. The seam attack might not look as decisively powerful as the Johnson-Harris axis but I'd expect it to have sufficient quality on home turf. And the perennially under-rated Nathan Lyon is having the most prosperous year of his career to date.

The Brisbane factor looms large. Now the traditional opening venue for Ashes series Down Under, Australia have won 21 and lost 0 of their past 28 matches there. Do England have enough to avoid defeat at The Gabba and cancel one of Australia's banker cards, as they did seven years ago?

I fear they don't, and so haven't taken the plunge to sign up to BT Sport. It's not because I can't stomach an England defeat (indeed, losing the Ashes Down Under means the mouth-watering prospect of another English Summer with the urn to be won back) but I need a proper competitive contest if I'm to ruin my body clock over the Winter.

But, I'll be delighted to be proved wrong and have to go scurrying to the BT hotline come mid-December.
By LankyShark
I spent many a Winter's night listening to the Ashes tests when I was a child, and indeed young adult.

I am not sure I could do it now even if Hammond and Larwood, and Bradman and Lindwall suddenly reappeared.
By johnsantaclaws
Listening to a Test match on the radio recreates the authentic experience of sitting in a stand and having to ask your neighbour what has just happened.
By Alex
gmdf wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:54 pm
If this article is correct, some controversial selections in the Australian team:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ne-england
You weren't wrong, Paine is a very interesting choice, the fact that Darren Lehman has scored a more recent first class hundred says it all!

Australia squad: Steve Smith (captain), David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Chadd Sayers, Mitchell Starc.
By PaulTavs
I'll be sleeping or working through most of the Ashes. I'm not staying up at night and I have business assignments to attend to most mornings - which fund my county cricket trips in 2018.
By Alex
England win the toss and bat first on a pitch which doesn't look to be the traditional hard, bouncy pitch. Hoping for a good first session from England! :pray:
By gmdf
Alex wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am
Rather annoying that it's over before I've even got there!
History suggests that only an optimist plans to watch the Melbourne or Sydney Tests and expect to see games that are 'meaningful'! :yes:
Alex liked this
By PaulTavs
Alex wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am
Rather annoying that it's over before I've even got there!
Yes. I hope you enjoy it anyway. The weather should be good and I'm sure you wll feel it worth it vwhen you get to the ground. Australia, for one, will be fully focused on winning!
Alex liked this

Now that he's fit, is there an argument to play Me[…]

Sussex v Glamorgan

Nice trip then to the south east cost for game thi[…]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]