Any news or views on International Cricket
By Vetchetarian
Stokes.
Bairstow.
Duckett.

Just what is going on with England's cricket elite as they continue to hit the self destruct button ?

Why can't they behave like grown men ?
exileKT8 liked this
By PaulTavs
As far as I see it, the Stokes issue was serious. The other two were just lads' bar-room jokes and of no consequence.

For me it has really destroyed the support I felt for the England team. Duckett has been hung out to dry over nothing beyond a bit of laddishness - suspended and given a final warning as an England player.

If it had been Anderson who poured a drink over a Lions player, I can't believe he would be suspended and given a final warning.

The England management should have just said that both incidents were of no consequence, nothing to see, move on. Bayliss himself said the Duckett incident was "trivial" - he used that word - yet apparently then a trivial incident is worth putting a player on a final warning.

They talk about a "current climate" in the England camp, yet it is the management who have created this mythical "climate" by acting like 'helicopter parents' with regard to the players' free time.
By Vetchetarian
PaulTavs wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm
As far as I see it, the Stokes issue was serious. The other two were just lads' bar-room jokes and of no consequence.

For me it has really destroyed the support I felt for the England team. Duckett has been hung out to dry over nothing beyond a bit of laddishness - suspended and given a final warning as an England player.

If it had been Anderson who poured a drink over a Lions player, I can't believe he would be suspended and given a final warning.

The England management should have just said that both incidents were of no consequence, nothing to see, move on. Bayliss himself said the Duckett incident was "trivial" - he used that word - yet apparently then a trivial incident is worth putting a player on a final warning.

They talk about a "current climate" in the England camp, yet it is the management who have created this mythical "climate" by acting like 'helicopter parents' with regard to the players' free time.
I wonder if the Bairstow/ Duckett incidents would have seen the light of day had it not been for the spotlight that Stokes' action produced.
By PaulTavs
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 pm

I wonder if the Bairstow/ Duckett incidents would have seen the light of day had it not been for the spotlight that Stokes' action produced.
Well, that's right, or something along those lines.

I note that when England players urinated on the Oval pitch in 2013, an apology was enough. No-one was suspended on put on final warnings.

When Monty Panesar mis-behaved in Brighton, for which he even got a fixed penalty notice for being drunk and disorderly, he remained in the squad and went to Oz that winter. Not suspended or given a final warning.

Yet for this drink-pouring incident Duckett is basically told his career is on the line.

I don't see any consistency in the punishments or lack of them.
By gmdf
For someone who is a wonderful timer of a cricket ball, it seems he has a very poor sense of timing in other spheres. It doesn't take much intelligence to work out that the first day 'post curfew' was NOT the day to tip a drink over a senior player. :brickwall:
By Kent Clerk
Not sure why Bairstow and Duckett need any excuses made for them. They're grown men and professional sportsmen acting like juvenile tw*ts. How could putting the nut on a member of the opposition, regardless of intent, NOT come out?

I guess they could have tried to cover up the Duckett story, but who can say it wouldn't have emerged somehow? And on the night the curfew ended?

Their sense of timing after Stokes makes them more inexcusable not less. No sympathy at all from me.
By gmdf
PaulTavs wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 pm
Suspend these players immediately:

Not quite the same, is it. I mean if you were enjoying a drink with friends and then someone (perhaps someone you only know slightly) poured a drink over your head for little or no reason, would you be laughing?
By Alex
Whilst it was a bit silly to do on the first night after the curfew has been lifted, I do feel a bit sorry for Ben as he was barely in favour in the first place and this will probably mean he won't make the team again unless he has an unbelievable year.
By PaulTavs
With regard to earlier trouble, Duckett was guilty of drink-driving in 2015.

No, it is not the same as in a match celebration but they have thrown the book at Duckett over something even Bayliss described as "trivial". Surely an apology would have sufficed?

It feels as if England want to have 11 robots playing for them.

God knows how the current management would have coped with Ingleby-Mackenzie's Hampshire sides of the 60s - they'd need counselling after spending just a week with them.
By Kent Clerk
Think I’m correct in recalling that when I have gone out to have a few drinks and enjoy myself, I’ve never poured a drink over anyone, and I’ve never nutted anyone, even in ‘jest’.

Evidently that would make me a ‘robot’...
gmdf liked this
By gmdf
PaulTavs wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am
With regard to earlier trouble, Duckett was guilty of drink-driving in 2015.

No, it is not the same as in a match celebration but they have thrown the book at Duckett over something even Bayliss described as "trivial". Surely an apology would have sufficed?

It feels as if England want to have 11 robots playing for them.

God knows how the current management would have coped with Ingleby-Mackenzie's Hampshire sides of the 60s - they'd need counselling after spending just a week with them.
We were all young once, but - when in my 20s - had I acted like Duckett to a senior member of my place of employment whilst out on a staff 'do', I suspect I'd have been seeking alternative employment. :thinking:
By Vetchetarian
The media scrutiny that modern day sportsmen/women have to endure is more intense than ever. What most of us would dismiss as a silly prank, is nowadays blown up into international incidents. Which means that players need to be more savvy, more aware of where they are, what they do, and who is watching.
Let's hope that this is the end of these silly incidents,( I don't include Stokes' alleged assault here ), and that nothing more serious and damaging has yet to emerge.

I seem to be missing a pedalo ?
By PaulTavs
I don't think what he did was clever or funny. However, even if one doesn't like it, the cricketers' environment has always been one in which stupid laddish pranks are rife - cutting up players' clothes, glueing belongings to the floor and so on.

I don't think they're so funny, but Duckett will have seen and been part of such 'larks' I am sure and seen players get away with it - in fact to run to teacher could just make things worse for a player. It's not like a normal workplace - this stuff goes on and for many players is a rite of passage to being accepted as one of the 'gang'.

APL 2018 inaugural edition is starting from 5th Oc[…]

Who deserves to stay at Glamorgan and why? Morris?[…]