Any news or views on International Cricket
By gmdf
Ben Duckett is a product of Stowe School (boarding fees > £30K PA) - you'd think they might have instilled a bit more commonsense!
By PaulTavs
It appears that Duckett wasn't the only player pouring drinks on other players. So why has he taken all the punishment?
By gmdf
PaulTavs wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:10 pm
It appears that Duckett wasn't the only player pouring drinks on other players. So why has he taken all the punishment?
I have no idea - perhaps, if that is true, he started it?
By PaulTavs
Kent Clerk wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 am
Think I’m correct in recalling that when I have gone out to have a few drinks and enjoy myself, I’ve never poured a drink over anyone, and I’ve never nutted anyone, even in ‘jest’.

Evidently that would make me a ‘robot’...
No it most certainly wouldn't.

But even Anderson has said this was a "non-event". What I mean by "robots" is that it looks, from the outside at least, as if the players are micro-managed, even during their time off, which doesn't create a happy and healthy environment. You can't be expected to perform at your best if the overall atmosphere isn't relaxed.

It says that after this "incident" the team's security staff "ordered them home". Why the hell do they have 'security staff' with them during their free time?
By psychocandy
Thing is they're on tour and "working" or at least representing their employer even on free time. They're fortunate enough to have a pretty good job too.

So why behave like small children?

I've been away with work, out on the beer with customers/clients/workmates and have never felt the need to headbutt/tip drink on anyone. I just dont get it.
gmdf liked this
By PaulTavs
psychocandy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am
So why behave like small children?

I've been away with work, out on the beer with customers/clients/workmates and have never felt the need to headbutt/tip drink on anyone. I just dont get it.
The problem is that such behaviour stems from what Ed Smith described as a "blokey, laddish culture of county cricket". Players are pressurised to conform to this and it often involves this sort of behaviour to "prove yourself" in front of others - however ridiculous this may seem to us.

Thankfully I think this sort of thing is on the decline as the cricketer's workplace evolves to one where there is now more emphasis on showing respect for other people even if they don't conform to the 'norm', but elements of it clearly still exist.

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

2nd XI

Personally I think it is very disappointing that t[…]

Another 'ton' for Compo

D.C.S.Compton, Dennis to his adoring fans', Compo […]

Royal London One Day Cup

Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new compe[…]